What is a typhoon?
A typhoon is a tropical storm that occurs in the Western Pacific ocean.
Typhoon Haiyan From Space
Damage after typhoon strikes
People had to live in broken homes and buildings left over after thee typhoon happened. This is an example of a family with one room left to live in.
The broken debris and buildings after the typhoon
People lined up to get necessary living supplies such as food and water
How to prepare for a typhoon
- Prepare an emergency kit of food, water and first aid supplies
- Get a flashlight with fresh batteries
- Find a radio to keep updated on the typhoon and listen for important information
- Pack small bags of clothing and other necessary supplies for each person in your family
- Fill up transportation vehicles with gas in case of an emergency evacuation
- Find all possible evacuation routes to get to higher ground
- Cover all windows with boards or other coverings
- Bring everything inside that is not tied down such as outdoor furniture and lawn decorations
- If you are in a high building, take shelter on the 10th floor or lower depending on how much water there is.