What we recommended—councils
We think all councils should consider the recommendations we have made for their services. This includes whether:
• their plans contain enough detail on their services
• their existing services (and service levels) meet the communities’ current and future needs
• their business units are developing service budgets consistently
• they include an assessment of the whole-of-life costs and impacts on corporate overheads when deciding to build new or upgrade assets
• they allocate a reasonable portion of corporate overheads to services
• they monitor and report on the effectiveness and efficiency of their services.
What we recommend—Department of Local Government, Racing and Multicultural Affairs
We recommend the Department of Local Government, Racing and Multicultural Affairs supports groups of similar councils to develop:
• scalable models, benchmarks, and tools for councils to allocate their corporate overheads to their services
• a set of effectiveness and efficiency measures to help councils monitor how their services are performing.