Wildlife museum in Medan, Indonesia
Our hotel to the Rahmat museum
Waterfall in Medan, Indonesia
Our accommodation to Sinolangit
Washing Elephants in Tangkahan, Medan
From our accommodation to Tangkahan, Medan
We started off with $10,000 and we spent 2,421 not including restaurant meal prices.
The History of Indonesia
Was this country colonised and if so, who colonised it?
Indonesia was first colonised by the Dutch in the early 17th century. Afterwards, the Japanese came to occupy Indonesia from 1942 until 1945 when Indonesia declared independence.
3 ways in which Indonesia is different to Australia:
- Indonesia is made up of mostly Muslims but the other 4 official religions are Protestantism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism. These are religions that are few here in Australia.
- In Indonesia, the traditional formal outfit for men would be a sarong pared with a batik shirt or jacket. Women would wear an embroidered blouse worn with a batik sarong that is usually dyed with flower motifs and in bright colours.
- People in Indonesia gain the status of full adults through marriage and parenthood. Children are under great family pressure to marry unlike Australians who generally are not under any pressure to marry.
3 most important events in Indonesian history:
- Proclamation of Independence, 17 August 1945
- 2002 October Bomb attack on the Kuta Beach nightclub district on Bali kills 202 people
- 2002 May East Timor becomes independent
Islam began in Arabia and was revealed to humanity by the Prophet Muhammad. Those who follow Islam are called Muslims. Muslims believe that there is only one God. The Arabic word for God is Allah.
Protestantism is a form of Christianity which originated with the Reformation, a movement against what its followers considered to be errors in the Roman Catholic Church. It is one of the three major divisions of Christendom, together with Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy.
The Roman Catholic Church is the largest religious denomination of Christianity with over one billion members. It claims that it is both organizationally and doctrinally the original Christian Church, founded by Jesus Christ. It also claims unbroken Apostolic Succession from St. Peter and the other Apostles.
Hinduism like other faiths is referred to as a religion. In India the term dharma is preferred, which is broader than the western term religion. Hindu traditionalists prefer to call it Sanatana Dharma.
Buddhism began in northeastern India and is based on the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama. The religion is 2,500 years old and is followed by 350 million Buddhists worldwide. Buddhism is the main religion in many Asian countries. It is a religion about suffering and the need to get rid of it.
Confucianism is often characterized as a system of social and ethical philosophy rather than a religion. In fact, Confucianism built on an ancient religious foundation to establish the social values, institutions, and transcendent ideals of traditional Chinese society.