Dr. Anna Julia Cooper
Dr. Anna Julia Cooper was born into slavery and died as the 1964 Civil Rights Act ended legally sanctioned discrimination. She received a scholarship to Saint Augustine’s Normal School and Collegiate Institute at the age of nine years old; she was the fourth black woman in the world to receive a Ph. D. from the University of Paris-Sorbonne. Dr. Cooper wrote A Voice from the South, by a Black Woman of the South, and she was honored as the 32nd stamp in the United States Postal Service Black Heritage Series as an activist who gave a voice to the African American community during the 19th and 20th centuries. “The cause of freedom is not the cause of the race or sect, a party of class – it is the cause of humankind, the very birthright of humanity” is a quote from Anna J. Cooper located on the pages of the United States Passport. She was most recently commemorated in Holy Women, Holy Men: Celebrating the Saints.
Saint Augustine's Chapel
The University historic chapel was erected in 1895 and is the oldest building on campus. The Chapel provides spirituals services to the students, faculty, staff and community. On Tuesday, October 11, 1897, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina, the Rt. Rev. James B. Cheshire, consecrated the university chapel. Students who were enrolled in the carpentry and masonry classes built university chapel. The chapel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Selma Burke graduated from St. Agnes Hospital in 1924. Although she was nurse by profession, she was also a gifted artist. Her most famous work is the bust of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on the United States dime. She developed a strong relationship with President Roosevelt, and went on to spearhead the launch of the March of Dimes campaign; it was one of the earliest attempts to help combat Polio. She later received her Ph.D. from the University of Paris.
Bishop Daniel S. Tuttle
The Bishop Tuttle Memorial Training School was erected by the Women’s Auxiliary at Saint Augustine’s to the National Council in 1925 in honor of Bishop Daniel S. Tuttle. The Tuttle School was a national training center for the education of Negro Women for Church Work and Social Services. The building is also registered with the National Registry for Historic Buildings. It currently houses the University’s ROTC Department.
Dr. Harold L. Trigg
Dr. Harold L. Trigg became the first African-American President of the institution; he was appointed in 1947. He was concerned for Saint Augustine’s growth and was a very motivating force in the college’s membership with the United Negro College Fund so that funds might be granted for institutional expenses, equipment, student scholarships and faculty improvements. He served the institution to his fullest and resigned from his presidency in 1955 and James A. Boyer was appointed acting president.
Mille D. Veasy
Mille D. Veasy served in the Women’s Army Corp from 1942 to 1945 with the rank of Staff Sergeant. A 1953 alumna of Saint Augustine’s College, she later returned to the college to serve as the Director of Career Planning and Placement/Cooperative Education. She was the past president of the NAACP of Wake County. She is one of three surviving black female soldiers from her unit to have seen combat in World War II. Ms. Veasey sat next to Martin Luther King, Jr. at the March on Washington.