This was a Facebook class hosted by the LemonCrushers on the LemonCooler on 1/7/17... a blustery, snow-filled, locked-in day. We hope that you enjoy this recap!
Hello and welcome to Essential Oils 101! In this class you will learn about Young Living essential oils, what they’re used for, how to use them, and more! This introduction into the world of essential oils should answer some of the questions you have, but we also want you to feel comfortable asking any others that might come up during the class, because we ALL had a lot of questions when we first became interested in oils. Just comment on the post you have a question about and we’ll answer them as we go along. We’re excited to have you here with us, so have fun and let’s learn about essential oils!
You will probably hear that phrase mentioned a lot in the future. It is the foundation; the very base Young Living was built on. What Seed to Seal means is that Young Living controls the entire process of producing these pure, therapeutic grade oils; from carefully selecting the seeds they plan, to ensuring the highest standards through the cultivation and growing process, to using innovative distilling if the oils to preserve their precious constituents, then testing each oil they’ve distilled to make sure they meet stringent standards, all the way to bottling and sealing each oil to make sure you receive the very best essential oil available for you and your family. Young Living owns its own farms, its own distilleries, and its own laboratories to achieve the highest quality control standards. Because of all of this, we can rest assured that Young Living won't allow a substandard product to leave its facilities. Young Living owns fields all over the world: Utah, Idaho, Canada, France, and Ecuador, just to name a few. They've made the decision to grow plants in their indigenous region. So, for example, Frankincense is harvested from the resin growing on trees in Oman. Why would we want or expect anything less from a wellness company than the very best product possible? Additionally, Young Living’s oils are highly concentrated with no fillers added to the bottle. They use the first distillation while other companies use the fifth or sixth press. Look at it this way - if you were making a pot of coffee, the first pot you brew will be very strong. The perfect cup of coffee, really. If you use the same filter, filled with the same (now used) grounds, the next pot won't be as strong. Good, maybe...but not great. It's the same with essential oils. So, in essence, when other companies are using the sixth press, there won't be much left to squeeze out of the plant. They have to use fillers and add other preservatives and chemicals to fill the bottle. Young Living isn't like that - they use the first press, and they fill your bottle with only essential oils. For most of us, Seed to Seal is the reason we chose Young Living. As Young Living says, “It's more than a slogan, it's a promise!”
There are three ways to use Young Living Essential Oils (YLEO): Topically, Aromatically, and by Ingestion.
TOPICALLY means to apply directly to the body. We always recommend you dilute your YLEO with a carrier oil - like coconut oil or grapeseed oil - until, at the very least, you know how your body is going to react to the oils. Many essential oils are “hot” oils, so you’ll always use a carrier oil with them. (Thieves, PanAway, and Peppermint are all examples of hot oils that should always be diluted.)
AROMATICALLY means to breathe in the oils. In your kit, you’ll get a diffuser, and that’s the easiest way to use essential oils, but you can also put a drop or two in your hands and cup them over your nose and mouth and breathe deeply. You could even put a little essential oils on a cotton ball and stick it into the vents of your car! We’ll talk more about diffusers and using essential oils aromatically in a bit.
INGESTING your oils means to swallow them - either in drink or food, or by filling a vegetable capsule.Some people are very comfortable with ingesting and others aren’t. This is a very personal choice and we won’t judge based on your decision either way. Not all oils are made to be ingested, so please refer to the label of each oil for proper usage instructions. NOTE: All “Vitality” oils are part of Young Living’s dietary oils line and are GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) and can be ingested if you choose to do so.
CARRIER OILS are important to help stretch your essential oils, both to help carry the oils to a greater area on the body and to adjust the heat in those hot oils, plus it just makes good fiscal sense! Carrier oils we like: - V6 Vegetable Oil Complex (a specially formulated carrier oil blend from Young Living) - Coconut Oil (we like unrefined and organic, if you can find it. Sam’s & Costco have the best prices we’ve found) - Grapeseed Oil (find it in the cooking oil aisle)- Fractionated Coconut Oil (this is a liquid and can be found at certain health food stores and on Amazon) - Sweet Almond Oil- Jojoba Oil - Avocado Oil- Argan Oil (this is a Moroccan oil that absorbs quickly and is good for skin and hair)
Chances are that those of you joining us for this class have heard someone mention, “The Kit.” When I talk about it, I mean Young Living’s Premium Starter Kit. Oil users love it because it’s the absolute best place to start - you'll get 11 of the most popular oils, a diffuser, plus a bunch of other stuff to get started. If you have The Kit, you’ll be able to grab it whenever anything comes up in your family.
In the next 12 posts, we’re going to tell you about the diffuser options available and the essential oils that are in The Kit. After that, you’ll hear us talk about five additional oils that are outside of the starter kit. We think they are valuable and play well with the starter kit oils and we believe in arming you with the very best options to make your oil journey a successful one. If you already have your kit, those five additional oils will be ones you might want to check out next.
One thing to note, as mentioned briefly before, any oil that has “Vitality” in its name is one that can be ingested, if you choose to do so. You will, however, notice both internal usage benefits and other uses for the Vitality oils in their descriptions, that way you will have multiple ways to use those oils.
One of the changes Young Living has made over the past couple years is to offer your choice of diffuser with the starter kit. Diffusing provides the best utilization of the aromatic properties of essential oils. The ultrasonic technology used in these diffusers breaks down the essential oils into tiny molecules that are dispersed into the air with the mist and ready to be inhaled. This allows you to easily and conveniently get the benefits of the oils while going about your day. Young Living currently has four ultrasonic diffuser options to choose from: Home, Dew Drop, Aria, and Rainstone. Each diffuser has different reasons why they rock, but you can compare notes below:
Home: This is one of Young Living’s classic diffusers, and one of its most popular. It covers approximately 215 square feet (the size of an average bedroom) and has an intermittent diffuse setting (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off), or its timed shut-off feature allows you to diffuse up to 5 hours continuously. The Home diffuser uses tap water, its light can be left on or turned off, and its continuous stream lets you know with certainty that you’re filling the air with all the benefits of these essential oils.
Dew Drop: This diffuser is especially awesome for kids. The light glows a comforting blue hue, which could be used as a substitute for a nightlight. The light can be turned off as well. It covers 300 square feet, is a humidifier, air purifier, and a diffuser. It has a timed shut-off and uses tap water.
Aria: This beautiful diffuser covers 400 square feet, has a timed shut-off, and diffuses for three hours maximum. It has multicolored lights, multiple interval options, built in music, an audio port (to play your own music from your phone or iPod), and a remote to control all the settings. This diffuser uses distilled water.
Rainstone: This mack-daddy will diffuse for up to eight hours, covers 323 square feet, and has an automatic shut-off. It has LED light settings and negative ionizer settings, uses tap water, and comes with a remote. Its sleek design and longer diffuse time has made this a recent favorite for many.
Lemon Vitality essential oil can be used for a variety of things, including cooking, baking, and for a balanced health and wellness regimen. A drop of Lemon Vitality oil in a glass of water can help bring balance to your overall health and wellness or you can use it in a delicious homemade vinaigrette. Here are a few more of the many things Lemon can do: - two drops of Lemon Vitality oil added to your favorite lemon bar recipe heightens the freshness of the flavors. - combine with Peppermint Vitality and Grapefruit Vitality as support for an all-natural, healthy weight management regimen. - a drop or two of Lemon can help you get sticky, hard to remove items or residue off of windows and other surfaces with ease.
Lavender, often called "The Swiss Army Knife” of essential oils, is one oil you will likely find yourself reaching for often. Just a drop may help soothe minor skin abrasions, a swipe along the inside cheek may help bring relief for seasonal discomfort, and a drop in a new tube of mascara can result is fuller, longer eyelashes. Lavender can also be used for the following things: - combine Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint to support healthy respiratory function and help you enjoy the seasons with ease. - make homemade play-dough with Lavender to help calm your children. - Lavender lemonade is delicious and may help reduce feelings of anxiousness.
Peppermint Vitality is one of the oils that I will never find myself without. I use it to support healthy digestion, as part of the weight management trio, and even to flavor a box of brownies (so good). Its invigorating scent is useful in a variety of situations. Look at some of these other uses for Peppermint:
- add a drop of Peppermint Vitality and a drop of Lemon Vitality to a glass of water for your morning pick-me-up. - rub a drop over your heart and on your stomach to help relieve digestive discomfort and support healthy digestion. - add a drop to your water while studying and again during tests to stay alert.
-use for fever, rub 2 drops with carrier and run down the spine.
Thieves Vitality, one of Young Living’s most popular oil blends and has a warm, spicy scent and flavor. This proprietary blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils may help support a healthy immune system and promote overall wellness. Here’s a few ways to use it:
- apply a drop to the feet every morning and diffuse every night to support a healthy immune system. - mix one drop each of Thieves Vitality and Lemon Vitality with a teaspoon of raw honey for a soothing and delicious treat. - add a drop or two to a cup of warm water to make a spicy, delicious tea.
-gargle with one drop in a little water and then swallow to ease a sore throat.
Purification, a blend of Citronella, Lemongrass, Lavandin, Rosemary, Tea Tree, and Myrtle essential oils, is great for removing any offensive odor in your home or car. Apply it to a few cotton balls to put inside a smelly soccer bag, or add a few drops to a rag before throwing it in your laundry. Diffuse Purification on those days you cook fish or have a houseful of kids. You can also use Purification in these ways:
- put a drop or two on a clothespin and attach it to your car’s air vent to keep odors at bay. - put a few drops inside stinky shoes before washing. - diffuse with Purification to keep your home smelling fresh and clean.
- 2 to 4 drops on a damp wash cloth and use in the dryer as a dryer sheet.
- 1 drop on your neck to ease a sore throat.
Frankincense is arguably one of the most recognizable essential oils due to its wide range of supportive properties, as well as being one of the gifts given to baby Jesus. It’s amazing to add to your daily facial moisturizer to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. When diffused, the warm, woodsy fragrance may lead to feelings of grounding and purpose.
- put two drops in your hands, cup them, and inhale deeply to help ease anxious feelings. - rub a couple drops on your temples and across your forehead to relieve tension and bring a sense of calming. - diffuse during meditation for more focused attention.
PanAway is a perfect companion after a workout, or a lifesaver for those days that you’ve overexerted yourself physically. This blend of Wintergreen, Helichrysum, Clove, and Peppermint essential oils can be used in a massage to help ease muscle discomfort. This oil might just become your best friend.
- mix with Peppermint, Copaiba, Frankincense, Lemongrass, and coconut oil for a soothing muscle cream. - mix with V6 Vegetable Oil in a roller bottle to take on the go or put in your workout bag.
A newer addition to the starter kit, Copaiba Vitality is steam distilled from the gum resin of its tree and has a pleasant, complex taste. It can be taken internally to promote wellness as part of a daily health regimen. You can also use Copaiba Vitality in these ways:
- combine it with honey, or mix it with warm water to create a warming, essential oil-infused tea. - add 5 drops of Copaiba Vitality to 1 cup of Epsom salt to a warm bath to unwind at the end of the day. - combine it with V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex as part of a relaxing massage.
R.C. is another newer addition to the starter kit. This blend of Spruce, Cypress, and three types of Eucalyptus (E. Globulus, E. Radiata, and E. Citriodora) essential oils packs a big punch! Its robust scent is a great way to perk up and its energetic aroma will help you stay motivated throughout the day. One sniff and you’ll know why people don’t want to find themselves without this blend. Here are just a couple of the ways you can use R.C.:
- place a few drops in a hot bath or shower to let the combination of R.C. and warm water calm and soothe you. - apply topically before a workout or combine with V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex for a post-exercise foot or back massage. - mix with a carrier oil and rub on your chest to help support healthy respiratory function.
DiGize Vitality is a blend of Ginger, Anise, Fennel, Peppermint, Tarragon, Lemongrass, Patchouli, and Juniper essential oils that was formulated to aid healthy digestion. Its rich, unique aroma and taste can be calming and comforting. Here are a few other uses for DiGize Vitality:
- when traveling abroad, use it as a dietary supplement in your water. - put a drop in a glass of water and drink with your meals to support healthy digestion. - bring it on a road trip to help your family travel with ease.
- great on bellies for belly ache or too much indulgence over the holidays.
Stress Away does exactly what the name suggests: it helps bring relief to everyday stresses we all feel. This blend of Copaiba, Lime, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Ocotea, and Lavender essential oils smells amazing and when diffused or applied topically provides a calming aroma and feeling. You can affix the rollerball included in the starter kit to the bottle of Stress Away, so it’s at the ready whenever you feel life's challenges frustrating you. Here are some more ways to use it:
- apply it to kids to calm them on rough days. - mix with Epsom salts to create a spa-like bath experience. - diffuse with Lavender to relax the family after a long day.
- apply to temples, neck and wrists as a perfume.
All of the oils we’ve talked about up to this point are found in the Premium Starter Kit (seriously, how awesome is it that you get 11 oils?!), but the following oils are a great addition to your new collection. In fact, if any of the oils that normally come in the starter kit happen to be out of stock due to seasonal or supply constraint reasons, Young Living substitutes one of these five flex oils in its place. Let’s take a quick look at these oils and what they’re all about, and why you would benefit from having them in your home.
1. AromaEase – This blend of Peppermint, Spearmint, Ginger, Cardamom,
and Fennel essential oils has a clean, nurturing scent. It is a must have for road trips, as the unique properties in it can help alleviate that queasy feeling you or your kids might get. Its crisp scent is also delightful to diffuse at home.
2. Tea Tree – Possibly the most famous essential oil out there, Tea Tree has many different benefits. You can use it as part of your daily skin care regimen to support healthy looking skin. It’s also great for scrapes and cuts to help support the body’s natural healing process. Diffuse it by itself or with a complimentary oil to get a crisp, clean scent filling your home.
3. Lemongrass - Lemongrass essential oil originates in Southeast Asia and is distilled from the leaves and woody stalks of the lemongrass plant. It is a purifying oil that supports overall well-being. It has a subtle citrus-herb scent, and offers a sophisticated and relaxing aroma. Diffuse Lemongrass to inspire a sense of clarity and relaxation in your home or workplace. Add 3–4 drops in a sink full of dishes, a load of laundry, or your all-purpose cleaner formula for a fresh, clean-smelling boost. Its relaxing aroma is a great addition to a post-workout massage.
4. Citrus Fresh – Another one of Young Living’s most popular blends, Citrus Fresh combines Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Lemon, and Mandarin essential oils with a hint of Spearmint to create a refreshing, inviting aroma. Diffusing Citrus Fresh fills your home or workplace with an uplifting scent and may help ease feelings of anxiousness. Some people even wear this oil by itself as a perfume or cologne.
5. Orange – Distilled from the rind of the fruit, Orange oil has a bright, citrusy scent. It is known for its calming properties and as an important part of a daily health regimen. Diffuse it with Lemon and Peppermint for a refreshing, uplifting aroma, or add it to your daily smoothie to support healthy immune system function.
As you can see, the Premium Starter Kit is a comprehensive introduction into the wonderful world of essential oils. Let’s take a look at everything you get with the starter kit:
- Lavender (5 ml)
- Peppermint Vitality (5 ml)
- Lemon Vitality (5 ml)
- Copaiba Vitality (5 ml)
- Frankincense (5 ml)
- Thieves Vitality (5 ml)
- Purification (5 ml)
- R.C. (5 ml)
- DiGize Vitality (5 ml)
- PanAway (5 ml)
- Stress Away (5 ml)
- AromaGlide Roller Fitment
- 10 Sample Packets
- 10 Love It? Share It! Sample Business Cards
- 10 Love It? Share It! Sample Oil Bottles
- 2 NingXia Red Samples (2 oz.)
- Product Guide and Product Price List
- Essential Oil Magazine
- Essential Edge
- Member Resources That’s a whole lot of goodness headed your way. ;) It’s like Christmas in a box when it shows up on your doorstep.
A quick side note: those NingXia Red samples are very tasty and also extremely good for you. Put them in the fridge or pour them over ice to enjoy a delicious chilled beverage, or just drink them straight from the pouch and discover one my favorite non-oil items from the starter kit. And if you don’t like it, you can always give the other one to me. ;)
When you get that box in the mail with all of these exciting things inside, we will walk you through it all step by step to keep it from being overwhelming and answer any questions you might have. I am so thankful for these oils and for Young Living, because they have literally changed my life, and I know they will change yours too.
Thanks for Coming!
Thank you all so, so much for joining us! This has been a lot of fun and hopefully you’ve had your questions answered. There’s so much more that these oils can do for you and your family, but this class was designed to scratch the surface and show you just how amazing these oils are. If you have any further questions, please ask them in the Q&A or contact the person that invited you to this class. We are here to help you get started on your oily journey and discover just how much these oils will change your life!