weekly school News
1. School Pictures/Spirit Wear: Spirit wear orders were sent home yesterday and pictures are coming home today. Please be on the lookout for these.
2. Family Literacy Night: We had an unbelievable turnout Tuesday evening. Over a third of our students were present at the event. We appreciate you taking the time to come when we know you are all busy. Attending events such as these help solidify the importance of literacy and education to our students.
We would remind you to mark your calendars for STEM night which will be held on November 13th from 6:30-7:30pm. There are several new activities that have been added to this evening that we know you will enjoy.
3. Environmental Club: Help support the MIS Environmental Club’s efforts to both care for the Earth and supply a beautiful bench for the school. They need your help to collect 200 pounds of plastic! The plastic will then be recycled into a beautiful bench and placed on school grounds for everyone to enjoy.
They will begin collecting plastic on Monday, September 16th and continue until they have reached the goal of 200 pounds. Updates will be provided on the MIS Environmental Club’s facebook page and in the MIS newsletter. Donations may be dropped at the MIS Office or given to Mrs. Nash.
The class with the most plastic turned in between Monday, September 16th and Friday, September 20th will earn a class prize! Click on the link below for details on what you can contribute.
4. #thankfulThursday: As mentioned in earlier newsletters, two summers ago we had a large group of staff members meet on several occasions to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This evening, you will have the opportunity to review and sign your child's "Character Card." This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
Knowing this, the office staff is requesting your help. We would like to share with our staff regular, positive feedback from a variety of sources. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A few positive comments already submitted:
"Mrs. Beuoy, thank you for making music fun! My son is excited to learn guitar, and I'm thrilled he's finally taking an interest in music!"
"Mrs. Welch has been a great addition to the MIS staff. She is very knowledgable and efficient. Her efforts to start the year have been much appreciated."
5. Gotcha Prize Winners: We would like to recognize the following students for exhibiting great character throughout the week. They were selected as our "Gotcha" prize winners this week:
Emmagrace H., Autumn J., Braelynn J., Sophia W., Abbey M., Gavin S., Katherine T., Lidiia D., and Hunter F.
6. QPR Training - Free Suicide Prevention Training for GC Parents/Guardians
7. Cross Country Information
8. "Sunshine Bags" - GCHS students, Jillian Baker and Grace Silcox, are collecting donations to make Sunshine Bags for their “A Little Bag of Sunshine” community service project. These bags will be made from donated materials from the community. These sunshine bags will be donated to locations around Hancock county to give those in need a little bit of sunshine around Thanksgiving. Items needed for the bags are: Gloves, socks, hand warmers, and chapstick. Donation Stations will be set up next week (9/16) and items will be collected for two weeks.
9. Immunization Reminder: September 20th has been set as our corporation exclusion date for students without required immunizations. If your child is not appropriately vaccinated, they will not be permitted to attend school until updated shot records are provided. Please see the medical tab in the annual forms/information section below for specific details.
10. School Dismissal Manager (CLICK FOR INSTRUCTIONS):
Maxwell Intermediate School utilizes the School Dismissal Manager program or app to safely manage transportation arrangements for our students at the end of the day. Parents may also report absences or schedule early dismissal for appointments. We are fully using SDM at this time. Any change you need to make to your child's after school transportation should be done through this prior to 1:00pm. If you have any questions regarding this program, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (317)326-3121.
KEEPING UP WITH THE LATEST AT MIS