Four things to Do....
1. Plan Your Student’s Path
- Decide how your child will attend school for 2020-2021.
- If choosing Duval HomeRoom, please note the following:
- Your child’s teacher could be from HAE or another school in our region
- Your child will retain his/her seat at HAE until they return to school -
- You will have the option to return to HAE after every quarter.
2. Read Important Information
3. Enroll Your Child
- There is no action needed if your child has previously attended HAE and will be attending face-to-face instruction this year.
- The deadline for enrolling in Duval HomeRoom through your parent Focus account is July 31, 2020.
- Sign up for bus transportation (registration required) through FOCUS at https://dcps.duvalschools.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=28229
4. Practice- Work with your Child on the Following
- Wear a face covering in 30 minute increments.
- Maintain 6 feet distance from others in public.
- Wash hands frequently using proper procedures.
- Avoid touching non-personal items that belong to others.
- Open up lunch items independently.
The information below reflects the TENTATIVE plan for reopening. A final draft of this information will be sent during teacher Pre-Planning week.
Meet & Greet and Supply Drop Off:
- Meet and Greet will be a drive-through opportunity to meet the teacher and drop off school supplies. Dates, times, and location TBA.
- Back-to-School Packets, Dismissal tags, and car tags will be available during the Meet & Greet and Supply Drop Off. Each family will be given two tags. You can purchase additional tags for $5 (cash only) during the drive through.
- Student DCPS masks will be given out at this time to ensure students have masks on arrival of first day of school.
- There will be a time designated for Duval Homeroom Families to pick up their materials and meet their teachers during this drive through Meet and Greet.
- Orientation will be virtual. Date and time TBA.
- Homeroom assignments will be mailed on August 12th. Please make sure FOCUS has your updated address. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to make changes.
- All requested documents for new students can be emailed to Courtney Long at email@example.com.
- Back-to-School Packets can be returned to school with your child on the first day of school or emailed to your child’s teacher.
- Extended day registration is online this year. Parents will be notified about the open enrollment window from the district communications department. This is a two-step enrollment process. The first step will be to apply. An online application does not mean you have a spot. You are officially registered when a director reaches out to you and you complete step 2 of the payment process. Please follow the steps for enrollment per the district website and wait for a director to call you. Please note that the system generates the list for the school and the Administration/Extended Day directors must go by the order of the the list. Once a grade level is full, we will be unable to add additional seats due to Covid 19 guidelines.
First Day of School Drop Off (Kindergarten ONLY!)
- Kindergarten parents will be permitted to drop off Kindergarten students at their exterior classroom door on the first day of school. If you wish to do this, we ask that you arrive between 8:40-9:00. Please park in the back parking lot, grassy area outside of the gate, or car line circle. Please have your mask on and walk to the exterior door of your Kindergarten classroom. Please practice social distancing at all times and do not linger. Staff will be outside of building 5 to take student temperatures prior to them entering the classroom. Parents are not permitted to enter the classroom. This will only be allowed for the first day of school and is only for Kindergarten students.
Extended Day 7:00 AM-8:00 AM
- Students arriving for Extended Day will have their temperatures checked by school personnel daily. Only students who pass screenings will be permitted into the building through the front door of the school. Parents must wait for the temperature check prior to drop off.
School Arrival 8:00 AM-8:25 AM Please do not drop off your student prior to this time, as there is no supervision.
- All students will be greeted and will have their temperatures checked when they arrive to school. Only those students who pass the screening will be admitted to class. Students who do not pass the screening will be escorted to a designated area in the Main Office to contact parents.
- Parents may not walk their students into the building. If parents choose to walk with their student to the entrance, social distancing will be expected at all times.
- All students will be asked to sit outside of their classroom in the hallways with facial coverings.
- Students who arrive late must enter at the front door for a temperature check. Parents must wait for the temperature check prior to drop off.
- Parents can drive through the front or back car line. Temperature checks will be taken prior to the student getting out of the car.
- Students will be greeted at the front of the school. All bus riders will have their temp taken as they exit the bus.
Walkers and Bikers
- Students will be greeted at the entrances. Temperature checks will be taken.
- If parents/guardians wish to check-out their students early, they will be asked to call the school when they are in the front parking lot/loop and meet a staff member at the front door. The student will be called to the front office with their belongings and walked to the front door. A staff member will check the ID of the parent/guardian and sign out the student for documentation.
- No early checks out after 2:30 on regular school days.
- No early check outs after 12:30 on Early Release days.
- All classroom teachers are equipped with individual walkies for their classrooms to facilitate dismissal. Classroom teachers will be responsible for supervising their students in the room while other personnel will supervise students in assigned dismissal areas and hallways.
- All students will have dismissal tags to identify their dismissal method. When dismissed, all students are expected to wear a mask and follow directional signage to their areas.
- All Kindergarten, First Grade, and their older siblings will be picked up in the back car line by building 5. Students will have to wear masks and will be socially distanced in classrooms, hallways, or areas until their car is called.
- Administration (or designee calling cars) will use the school radio to call for students in the order in which their parents are in line.
- All cars must have a school-issued car tag with student names to ensure the process is safe and as efficient as possible. Car tags will be available at the drive-through Meet & Greet.
- All Kindergarten bus riders must have a Kindergarten Bus Rider Information form completed before boarding the bus in the afternoon.
- Kindergarten students will be escorted to the bus area. They will need to wear their face masks to the area and can remove once they are socially distanced in a spot to wait on bus.
- 1st-5th students will be dismissed from their classroom to the bus at designated times.
- When the bus arrives, all students will put on their mask to load the bus.
Walkers and Bikers:
- All walkers and bikers must have a signed dismissal form permitting them to leave campus on their own. This form will be in meet and greet packets.
- Kindergarten students will be socially distanced in the hallway. They will need to wear their mask as they wait.
- 1st- 5th students will be dismissed from their homeroom at designated times. They will need to wear their masks as they walk through the building to their walker exit.
- Extended Day students will remain in their classroom with the homeroom teacher until 3:10 PM. At that time, the students will be escorted to extended day locations for snack. Students will be socially distanced in areas while they eat snack. K/1 students (cafeteria), 2nd, 3rd, 4th (auditorium), 5th Grade (Media Center).
Face Covering Expectations:
- Students will be asked to wear face coverings when they are:
- Boarding/riding/departing the bus
- Entering the building
- Walking in common areas
- In the classroom when they cannot socially distance (small groups, carpet, centers, etc.) (face shields for K-2nd students only)
- In the cafeteria line
- Being dismissed
- Face shields (K-2nd) and cloth masks (K -5th) will be provided for students. We recommend purchasing at least 3-5 extra masks to keep at school. Please write your child’s name on the back of the mask and send with supplies. Teachers will send home masks for washing once a week.
- All students will be expected to wash their hands upon entering and exiting the classroom.
- Teachers will have additional handwashing scheduled into the school day.
- All students will have access to hand sanitizer.
Department of HEalth Guidelines:
- •The district is still working with the Department of Health for a list of guidelines in regard to students or staff testing positive for the virus. At this time, schools have been advised that they will report any positive cases to the district and department of health. At that time, the department of health will conduct a contact tracing investigation and provide the school with next steps. We will communicate any and all guidelines we receive from Department of Health as soon as we have them.
Prescription Medication Drop-Off:
- Parents can contact the school for an appointment to drop-off prescription medication. It is important to bring all required documentation with you.
- Free breakfast will be offered in the classrooms each morning.
- Students will eat in the classroom in order to reduce the number of students in common areas.
- We recommend packing your child’s lunch daily if possible. If not the cafeteria will offer 3 entrée choices daily. Students will be able to choose entrée, but not sides. Lunches will be served in trays that have a lid.
- Duval Homeroom students can come to the school to purchase a lunch between 10-11. These lunches will be served at the exterior door of the auditorium.
- Lunch monitors will monitor the classrooms to ensure teachers have a duty free lunch of their own.
- Students will sanitize hands before and after lunch times.
Lunch Account Payments:
- Parents may use the www.myschoolbucks.com site or send in cash payments to add funds to their child’s account.
- In-person payments are suspended until further notice.
- All water fountains will be taped off and not in use this year.
- If the water fountain has a bottle filler option, students may still use this feature to fill water bottles.
- We recommend every student bring a personal water bottle daily.
- Please consider donating gallons of spring water for the teachers to use to fill water bottles if needed during the day. 😊
- All students will remain in their homeroom class for the majority of the school day. Instruction may be provided outside as deemed appropriate.
- Departmentalized grade levels will switch teachers (not the students) at the assigned time.
- Signage will assist students with traveling travelling appropriately throughout hallways and common areas.
- All students will enjoy at least 20 minutes of recess daily.
- Students will transition from their classroom and escorted to the assigned playground at a scheduled time.
- Students are expected to remain in their assigned area and maintain an appropriate distance from other students.
- Students will NOT be asked to wear face coverings while outside.
- The number of classes on the playground at one time will be limited.
- Students will sanitize prior to play and after playground time.
- Art, music, media, and technology teachers will travel into the classrooms for resource. Instruction may be provided outside as deemed appropriate.
- Physical Education will be outside, weather permitting.
- Students will sanitize hands before and after resource.
- Field trips are suspended until further notice.
- All conferences will be held virtually until further notice. These will need to be scheduled in advance and can be held via phone, Skype, or Go To Meeting.
- Open House will be virtual. Date and time TBA.
Parent Involvement Meetings:
- PTA, SAC, FOH, etc. meetings will be virtual until further notice.
VIsitors & Volunteers:
- Visitors and volunteers will not be permitted inside the school building at this time to protect everyone’s safety.
- Parents and other stakeholders will be provided assistance at the front door/barrier in the lobby of the school.