- Six week teaching placement with local partners in Chikuni Jesuit Misssion, Southern Province, Zambia.
- €2,999 participation fee covers flights, accommodation, training and insurance.
- Live and work within a team of 8-12 volunteers.
- Open to applicants from 18 - 25 years old.
- Three compulsory pre-departure training weekends.
- Access to all Suas programmes on return.
- Departure date - June 24th 2020 (provisionally).
The Suas Volunteer Programme is physically and emotionally intense. To prepare you we provide three training preparation weekends. Facilitated by Suas staff and outside consultants, these weekends will show you how to remain sensitive to the cultural surroundings of your placement while equipping you with the skills needed to be effective teachers, team-members and change-makers. A full post-placement debrief will ensure you are well equipped for the sometimes challenging phase of returning home.
The safe completion of the Volunteer Programme by everyone involved is our number one objective.
- Logistics and Planning
- Teamwork and Ways-of-Working
- Health Safety and Security
- Cultural Context
- Fundraising Support
- Information on Partner Organisations
Training Weekends 2020
- Weekend 1: Feb 21st- 23rd - Maynooth (residential)
- Weekend 2: March 21st - 22nd - Dublin
- Weekend 3: May 16th-17th - Dublin
- Return Debrief: September 12th
The participation fee of €2,999 for a six week placement covers:
- Pre-Departure Training
We're aware that this is a substantial amount of money to raise. To help, we support you with materials, ideas and workshops during pre-departure. No volunteer has ever failed to travel for not reaching the target and any excess funds raised go directly to our partner organisations.
The Suas Volunteer Programme is a unique opportunity to improve the education of disadvantaged children in Zambia. Living and working with a team of volunteers, you will acquire excellent first-hand experience of life in a developing country.
The placement will give you a deeper understanding of global development issues, while advancing your own personal and professional skills. More than this, it is an opportunity to write the next chapter of your life while having a great adventure.