Hi, my name is Sara Levy. I am very excited to be teaching the 4th & 5th Classes at Temple Tikvah’s Hebrew School! I have been involved in Jewish education for many years as a substitute teacher in Yeshiva and Temple Hebrew Schools, and as a private Hebrew Language and Judaic Studies Tutor to elementary and middle school students. I am fluent in Hebrew and passionate about teaching the language of our religion and ensuring it stays alive and vital. I met my husband when I was in Israel studying at a Talmudic college. We married at 19 and attended university together in England. I believe that providing students with a supportive and positive atmosphere is the best way to help them to develop the necessary tools to succeed. I am looking forward to a year filled with growth and many achievements for all of the students.
Early Childhood - Nuccia Hernan
“Twinkle, Twinkle Hanukah Lights”
- The long winter nights are here, and we all gather indoors for family celebrations, great food, and happy songs. One song comes to mind of the holiday we celebrate in December and it is called “Twinkle, Twinkle Hanukah Lights.” The author is unknown to me, but the tune captures this holiday of lights, food, and song and dance:
- Join us on Saturday, December 14th at 10:15am for a Hanukah Shabbat Service and help Cantor Guy sing about the brave Maccabees, listen to the sound of sizzling latkes, spin with us like a dreidel, and be a bright shining light. You will be able to name the characters in Rabbi Sheinberg’s story and then join us for blessings, a snack, and create your very own Hanukah craft followed by a PJ Library Book Reading.
- There will be a Friday Night Tot Shabbat Service on December 27th beginning at 6:30pm. This is a short Service for the young Maccabees in our community. Lighting of the Shabbat Candles and blessings of the juice and challah will follow in Classroom 7, along with a snack and story time.
- All of these programs are free; however, space is limited. Reservations are required for all our events, to ensure that we have adequate supplies for your child. Please register by emailing Shari Rotstein at ECP@templetikvah.org.
We hope all our Maccabees will join us this month and help our Menorah shine brightly!
President - Marc Gold
December is a FUN Month!
- Tis’ the Holiday Season…with Hanukah and Christmas (if you celebrate), and the NEW YEAR! The stores in the malls are jammed with frantic people looking for the ideal gifts for their loved ones and friends. Gift cards are quick, yet I feel kind of cold, especially if the recipient is close you. So, what do you buy people who seem to have everything - another tie or shirt, usually the wrong size and who wants to then have to wait on the those ridiculously long return or exchange lines…YOU!!!
- You cannot win either way…
- At our house in years past…we bought gifts of all different prices (8 of course per son) and gave one gift every night. However, our boys kind of guessed that they were getting 8 gifts and preferred them all on night #1! So, we gave in, we had a scavenger hunt in the Gold House for many years with each clue leading to another gift, from least expensive to the BIG ONE!
- For years we had these scavenger hunts. We mixed-up the clues, so that both boys were not in each others way running all over the house. It was fun and of course we videotaped everything, and we still look at these tapes every now and then. It was quite entertaining when they found “a gift” - they looked at each other to make sure the gifts were of equal value. God forbid we spent more on one child and not the other…Ha ha ha!
- We still buy Hanukah gifts for our two sons (38 and 35) along with their wives, but this year we get to buy our little granddaughter Seyla, her first of many Hanukah gifts!!! The fun starts up all over again.
- As for Brotherhood…coming off of a very successful Fundraiser at Panera Bread, we as a group will cook potato latkes for Religious School on December 15th. Please join us at 9:30am…this is always a fun event for Brotherhood, as well as for the kids.
- Long Range: SAVE THE DATE – On Sunday, February 2nd 2020 will hold our Annual Defensive Driving Course. Look for the flyers in the Temple’s Weekly Updates and in Temple. The Class fills up QUICKLY, so if you want a reduced insurance rate or need points removed from you license, please sign up as soon as possible.
PANERA BREAD FUNDRAISER
- A big “thank you” to the following organizations for contributing to The Sisterhood Membership Brunch Raffle that was held on Sunday, October 27th.
- Please continue to show your support for our local community by supporting them: Julie’s Nails in Albertson • Danny’s Cleaners in Fresh Meadows (5 certificates) • Positano Brickoven Pizza in Williston Park • Dominick's Deli in New Hyde Park • Polito Bakery in New Hyde Park • Pizazz Hair Salon in Little Neck (4 certificates) • Ben’s Kosher Deli • Oasis Nail in New Hyde Park • Old Westbury Diner • Opa Grille in Williston Park • BAM Style Hair Salon in Lake Success (10 certificates) • Iavarone Brothers in Lake Success • Grill Mark in Albertson
Created with images by Josh Felise - "Rose and petals at Walnut Creek" • FotoRieth - "challah shabbat challah board" • Jon Tyson - "untitled image" • hurk - "star of david star symbol" • exoteric - "sundial clock old"