Jan Gonzales, Superintendent
It was wonderful seeing most of you at Opening Day! That is always a great day with lots of proud moments, including our awardees whom I would love to congratulate again!
Lisa Ladao – Teacher of the Year
Veronica Venegas - Classified Employee of the Year
Shavonne Mayhan - John Levell Award
Kenisha Williams - Marie Miller Award
There is always so much more to be proud of in VESD. In your day to day work you produce awesome deeds, gestures and work with our students.
Your work isn’t easy and the constant change education brings compounds that. Years and years ago, in a psychology class we discussed a person’s equilibrium and disequilibrium; probably outdated terms now. Equilibrium means you are in a personal place where you are comfortable and knowledgeable, for example when you have been in a job a while with few changes, so you know this job well. Disequilibrium is when you are uncomfortable, learning, and somewhat unsure of yourself.
It seems in education we are in disequilibrium more than in equilibrium, and as time marches on there is very little time with no change. Information and research are prolific and the results of these are fed into our world constantly. The hurdle that I am always working to get over is learning to treat periods of disequilibrium with a positive mindset. ☺
The one piece of knowledge that VESD is sticking to is that our students must learn how to learn. I appreciate that you all role model this every day because we, the adults in VESD, are learning consistently. I appreciate that you are building relationships with your students because you can’t teach a student you don’t know. I appreciate that you look at each student as an individual with potential.
Thank you for a wonderful beginning to 2016/2017, and for everything you do for children.
The Basics are Back!
The Basics Awaken t-shirts have arrived at all sites! Starting this month, our principals/managers will recognize employees who exemplify the Basics! Each deserving winner will be awarded a special Basics Awaken t-shirt!
THE VESD BASICS
1. The decisions we make are for the good of all students.
2. We lead by example and treat people with the respect and trust that are the foundation of our organization, using professional courtesy in all interactions.
3. As ambassadors of VESD, our conduct is held in high regard and reflected in all we do. Therefore, we act positively in our speech, work ethic, and social media conduct.
4. As role models, we take pride in our professional dress, personal appearance, and the materials and equipment entrusted to us.
5. We are responsible for providing and maintaining a safe, accident-free environment that fosters physical and emotional security.
6. We participate in planning and seek ways to improve current systems while proactively creating opportunities to improve personal competence. We do whatever it takes to ensure positive results.
7. We take responsibility and communicate concerns, providing possible solutions in order to create an environment of teamwork.
8. We honor and respect others’ time by acknowledging phone calls, e-mails, and messages by the next business day.
9. We recognize others’ accomplishments, efforts, and positive attitudes.
10. We create diversity-inclusive working and learning environments, free from discrimination and harassment, to promote opportunity and equality for all.