- A. The Peteropodidae also known as the fruit bat or flying fox frist appered about a million years ago and falls into the category of the megachiroptera or megabat. There are many different sizes of fruit bats depending on there location. They can be 2 in long while others are up to 16 inches long. Some weight an ounce or two while others weight pounds. Fruit Bats trend to live in areas that have lots of food like thick forest regions with plenty of fruit trees. Most of them live in warmer climates and can be found in Africa, Asia, Australia, and the Middle east. There classifications are:
- Kingdom- Animal
- Class- Mammalia
- Order- Bats
- Family- Megabats
- Species- Megachiroptera
- Homologous-B.The Carnivora(lions, tigers, bears, dogs, and seals), Eurthera (whales, elephants, shrews, armadillos), and Pan Primates (Chimpanzee) are the closest relatives to bats.
- Carnivora- Bats have descended because they are predictors and ate insects. They are related to them by 35%.
- Eutherian- Their hand bones have a similar shape to bats and are related to them by 45% because of their descendants from them.
- Pan Primates- They are a combination of different animals like chimpanzees and are related to them by about 20%
Morphological and molecular shows evidence of evolution because bats descant with the similarity and traits of each class like some of their bone structures as well.
- C.Organisms that have the same basic Structure but with different functions also known as Homologous Structures are:
- Birds- Their wings are meant for flying, for bats their wings are also meant for flying but also grabbing their food. They both have the same structure
- Whales- Both of their bones are placed in the same spots but are for different uses. Whales use their fins for swimming and bats use their wings for flying and grabbing.
This shows evidence for evolution because it is an example of a bone or and organ that are found in different structures that are used for different purpose. They also have the same parts in the same places and since they don't just appear out of nothing they evolve.
Fruit bats also have Vestigial structures. It is a structure in an organism that lost some or all of its function through evolution. On vestigial structure are it eyes. They were once used for seeing but now there eye now have no use to them. They use echolocation to find objects.
A transitional fossil is a fossil that gives information about the transition from one species to another. One of the fruit bats recent ancestors is the Chriacus. It is related to the fruit bat because they both have the anterior teeth angled anteriorly
The comparative embryology-All of this shows evolution because of its origin of life all the different species have made up the fruit bat, like the Chriacus it gave the fruit bat though type of teeth. This proves evolution because the type of DNA it has is about the same as the Chriacus.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/feb/13/bat.evolution https://pterosaurheresies.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/the-origin-of-bats/ https://pterosaurheresies.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/bat-origins-and-dna/