Iroquois Theater Fire Anysa Chanthavong

Durning a performance on December 30, 1903, one of the calcium lights has seemed to have started a fire backstage. The emergency door was locked which made it hard for people to get out. This caused many people to die.

Carl Prinzler, a the salesman of the Vonnegut Hardware company, was suppose to attend the musical that day, but he couldn't go to the show that day. He was haunted by the tragedy and decided to do something about it. He created mechanism that would make a door to open for emergency, even if it was locked. This mechanism was called a panic bar.

The panic bar is still in use to this day. They are in most buildings and has helped lives.

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.