Man With a Plan
General Manager Thomas Dimitroff has selected 74 players since 2008. He has chosen players from 52 different colleges/universities over the last 10 drafts.
Dimitroff has completed 13 draft day trades since becoming General Manager of the Falcons.
- 2008 - Dimitroff dealt two second-round picks and a fourth-rounder to Washington in exchange for picks 21, 84 and 154. He used the first-round choice on offensive tackle Sam Baker, the third-rounder on wide receiver Harry Douglas and the fifth-round pick on defensive end Kroy Biermann.
- 2009 - Dimitroff sent Atlanta’s fifth-rounder to the Cowboys for Dallas’ fifth-rounder, which was 13 spots back, and a seventh-round selection. The Falcons used those picks on offensive lineman Garrett Reynolds and defensive end Vance Walker
- 2010 - Dimitroff dealt the Falcons’ fifth-rounder and one of their two sixth-round picks to the Rams to move up 14 spots in the fifth round. Atlanta used that selection on cornerback Dominique Franks
- 2011 - Dimitroff pulled off a blockbuster trade with the Browns to land the No. 6 overall pick, which was used on star receiver Julio Jones. In exchange for that premium selection, Cleveland received two first-rounders, two fourth-rounders and a second-rounder.
- 2011 - That same year, Dimitroff dealt a fifth-round choice and a seventh-rounder to move up 13 spots in the fifth. Atlanta used that selection on running back Jacquizz Rodgers.
- 2012 - Dimitroff traded the No. 84 overall pick to Baltimore for the Nos. 91 and 164 selections. Atlanta used those picks on offensive tackle Lamar Holmes and defensive end Jonathan Massaquoi
- 2013 - Dimitroff sent the 30th overall pick, along with a third- and sixth-rounder, to St. Louis in exchange for the No. 22 overall pick, which was used on Pro Bowl cornerback Desmond Trufant.
- 2013 - Atlanta traded a fifth and a seventh to Chicago to move up 10 spots in the fifth round. Dimitroff used that selection to draft defensive end Stansly Maponga.
- 2014 - Dimitroff dealt Atlanta’s sixth-rounder and one of three seventh-rounders to Minnesota for its fifth-round pick. The Falcons used that selection on linebacker Marquis Spruill.
- 2015 - Dimitroff traded the Falcons’ fifth-rounder and sixth-rounder to Minnesota to move up nine spots in the fifth. Atlanta used that pick on defensive tackle Grady Jarrett.
- 2016 - Traded the 50th overall pick for the Houston Texans 52nd and 195th overall picks in the 2016 NFL Draft to acquire LB Deion Jones (52nd overall) and G Wes Schweitzer (195th overall).
- 2017 - Dimitroff traded the 31st, 95th, and 249th overall picks to move up five spots to pick DE Takk McKinley at 26th.
- 2017 - Dimitroff completed his 13th draft day trade when he traded the 63rd overall pick to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for the 75th, 149th, and 156th picks. With those picks Dimitroff selected Duke Riley, Damontae Kazee, and Brian Hill.
ESPN: GM Thomas Dimitroff: Falcons open for draft trade, as usual
General Manager Thomas Dimitroff has drafted or signed nine current players that have made at least one Pro Bowl appearance. Those nine players have been to the Pro Bowl a combined 21 times. His draft selections have earned 16 trips to the Pro Bowl. Since Dimitroff's arrival in 2008, Falcons players (signed/traded for/drafted) have earned 37 trips to the Pro Bowl.
QB Matt Ryan (drafted 3rd overall in 2008) set career-best marks in 2016, completing 69.9 percent of his passes for 4,944 yards with 38 touchdowns and a 117.1 passer rating. Those numbers led to Ryan winning the franchise's first NFL MVP award. Ryan owns the franchise record in passing yards, touchdowns, completions, and completion percentage.
Only one player selected with the 26th overall pick has been elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (G Joe DeLamielleure - 1973). Additionally, 10 players have been first team All-Pro selections, and 21 players have been voted into one-or-more Pro Bowl games.