© Jan Pudney
Built in the 1860s as a private residence in Daylesford, Victoria during the Gold Rush and known then as 'Blarney Castle', the Convent was bought by the Catholic Church in the 1880s. In 1892 it became a convent and school and remained so until the 1970s when alternative accommodation was found for the nuns. The building fell into disrepair and was derelict by the time it was rescued in 1988 by a local artist, Tina Banitska. and restored to become a museum, art gallery and restaurant. Representing over 500 local and Australian artists, The Convent's exhibitions change every eight weeks. Any visit to the Goldfields area of Victoria should include a visit to this wonderful building.
Click any image to view slideshow
art, gallery, museum, travel, Daylesford, Victoria, Australia, photography