As well as sharing ideas and experiences from this particular case study, the session aims to provoke wider consideration of ethics and impacts in relation to participative approaches:
- When and how can participative practice be written into the research design?
- How do you decide which people or groups you might aim to engage with?
- How do you go about fostering a participative environment?
- What are the potential implications, personally and professionally, for all involved in participative research?
- Brydon-Miller, M., Kral, M., Maguire, P., Noffke, S. and Sabhlok, A. (2011) Jazz and the Banyan Tree: Roots and riffs on participatory action research, in Denzin, N. K., Lincoln, Y. S. (Eds) Handbook of Qualitative Research, London: Sage, 387- 400.
- Chevalier, J.M. and Buckles, D.J. (2013) Participatory Action Research: Theory and methods for engaged inquiry. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Mertens, D.M. (1999) Inclusive Evaluation: Implications of transformative theory for evaluation, American Journal of Evaluation 20(1): 1-14.
- UNHRC (2005) Action for the Rights of Children Facilitator’s Toolkit - Reach Out Refugee Protection Training Project. Available at: www.unhcr.org/4371d7c92.pdf
Weblinks and resources:
Action-Base Research Methods (see, in particular PAR methodologies and sections on methods) on "Activist Research Methods":
Pain, R, Whitman, G., Milledge, D. and Lune Rivers Trust (2012) Participatory Action Research Toolkit: An introduction to using PAR as an approach to learning, research and action.
Porter, L., Jaconelli, M., Cheyne, J., Eby, D. and Wagenaar, H. (2009) 'Planning Displacement: The Real Legacy of Major Sporting Events “Just a person in a wee flat”: Being Displaced by the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow's East End Olympian Masterplanning in London Closing Ceremonies: How Law, Policy and the Winter Olympics are Displacing an Inconveniently Located Low-Income Community in Vancouver Commentary: Recovering Public Ethos: Critical Analysis for Policy and Planning', Planning Theory & Practice, 10: 3, 395 — 418. DOI: 10.1080/14649350903229828
Resources and Presentation Recordings
Video from presentation- including copy of slides will be made available.
Slides from the workshop presentation are available to view below, click on the first slide to view as a slideshow.
Photos by Alison McCandlish