Who they are
Sport England are an organisation that works with the DCMS and other organisations such as the YST and UK Sport that focus upon increasing Sport Participation. ‘’We work to get more people active across England – regardless of age, background or ability. ’’ (Sport England no date)
Roles and Responsibilities
We will contribute to the government's strategy by working to:
- Increase the number of people in England taking part in sport and activity and decrease the number of people who are physically inactive
- Increase the proportion of young people (11-18) who have a positive attitude to sport and being active
- Make sure public facilities are used fully and effectively to get maximum use from communities
- Increase the number of children who are physically literate – i.e. confident and competent in sport and activity
- Increase the number of adults using the great outdoors for exercise and wellbeing
- Contribute to UK and home nation performance in major sporting events at home and abroad (through our various projects to support talented individuals)
- Increase investment in sport from sources outside the public sector
- Increase the number of people volunteering in sport at least twice in the last year
- Make sure volunteers are from a wider range of backgrounds and lifestyles to ensure this group represents society as a whole
How are they involved in Promoting Health?
"We'll spend £250 million to combat inactivity as part of five-year strategy" According to Sport England 28% of people do less then 30 minutes of exercise per week and Sport England's aim to to make the UK a more active nation!