We understand it can be an uncertain time for your business and as we write this, the situation is constantly changing. However, Chiltern and South Bucks District Councils are working with other local authorities in Bucks to ensure we are prepared for every eventuality. To find local and national support for your business take a look at our websites at chiltern.gov.uk/eu-exit or southbucks.gov.uk/eu-exit.
Careers & Employability
Bucks Skills Show 2019
The Bucks Skills Show is back for 2019 and you can now register to exhibit your business on the 18th and 19th October at the Gateway in Aylesbury, inspiring young people about a career in your industry. Last year's event was the largest yet with almost 3,000 parents and young people attending over the two days and this year looks to be bigger and better. Register now at: https://wannabebucks.org/bucks-skills-show/
Bucks Skills Hub
We have been working with the Bucks Skills Hub and the Careers & Enterprise Company to continue linking employers with educators. We have then all worked together to arrange a variety of workplace visits for local students to companies such as Silverson Machines, Heathrow Airport, Wycombe Wanderers and to ourselves at the District Councils. If you would like your company to be involved, or would like to work directly with a school as an Enterprise Adviser please contact us on the email below.
Events & Networking
Buckinghamshire Business First
Some amazing events took place as part of the Bucks Business Festival last month. We hope you managed to attend some of them, but if not take a look at what happened and look out for future events at bbf.uk.com.
The team has been working to support town centre businesses to ensure the vitality and vibrancy of our town centres across Chiltern and South Bucks. We continue to support existing town centre business associations in all towns across the two districts, below are some examples of recent business meetings we have arranged in Amersham and Gerrards Cross:
Amersham - A number of meetings have been held with town centre businesses in Amersham-on-the-Hill and we are working to resolve concerns around signage, maps and noticeboards around the town to highlight the variety of shops. We are also identifying funds available for longer term projects around accessibility and roads through the main shopping areas.
Gerrards Cross - Working in partnership with Gerrards Cross Town Council we visited all the retailers in the town centre area to explore how we could support them and invited them to a business meeting. We held the first meeting on the 24th April and had a positive discussion around what is happening in the town and how ourselves, the Town Council and the businesses can work together to start a business association, sharing best practice from neighbouring towns and identifying appropriate funding for town centre projects.
For further information on town centre projects and the groups we organise or support please email us using the button below.
Tradeshow Access Programme (TAP)
This is a programme run by the Department for International Trade (DIT) for UK businesses that export or are looking to export and wish to attend overseas trade shows to apply for funding to offset some of the costs. Find out more at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tradeshow-access-programme
Heathrow Sustainability Innovation Prize 2019
Heathrow Airport is running an exciting sustainability competition for UK businesses of any size to win £30,000. Businesses are encouraged to submit ideas for innovative solutions to issues facing the airport. There are three categories:
- Travelling to the airport sustainably – how to encourage and facilitate more sustainable and carbon-free alternatives.
- Getting ready for sustainable propulsion – how to help prepare the airport for fossil-free flight.
- Negative emissions at or near the airport – how to begin capturing and using carbon in and around the airport operation (carbon capture and use).
Apply by the 22nd May at: https://your.heathrow.com/centreofexcellence/2019sustainabilityinnovationprize/
Low Carbon Grants
You could get between £1,000 and £5,000 funding for your business to reduce your carbon footprint. There are a range of eligible projects from new lighting to boilers and even electric cars. Find out more information and apply at https://www.lowcarbonworkspaces.co.uk/
We recently met with the Cyber Crime team from Thames Valley Police as cyber attacks are increasingly becoming an issue for small businesses. In a recent survey from the Department for Digital, Cultural Media and Sport, 31% of micro and small businesses identified a breach or attack to their business. Amongst this 31%: 19% lost their files or network access, 10% had their website slowed or taken down and 9% had their software or systems corrupted or damaged.
78% of micro and small businesses now say cyber security is a high priority, but are you doing enough to protect your business? For further information on how to stay safe and where to report a cyber crime take a look at the National Cyber Security Centre (NCS) website or follow the TVP Cyber Crime team on twitter: @TVP_cyberfraud
If you would like more information or are interested in a presentation regarding cyber security at an upcoming business event or networking group contact Mark.Godsland@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk.
The team is now working closely with Visit Buckinghamshire, the Destination Management Organisation (DMO) for Buckinghamshire, and look forward to working together in developing the tourism offer across the two districts.
L'Etape is coming to the Chilterns this Summer! With over 3,500 cyclists and 7,000 spectators expected it is sure to bring the Tour de France experience to the Chilterns. There will be many chances for your business to take advantage of the increased tourism to the area. Whether it's racing, sponsoring or promoting your business there will be many ways to get involved. For more information on the benefits for your business and the local economy: https://bbf.uk.com/news/the-magic-of-the-tour-de-france-comes-to-the-chilterns
For information on entering the race: https://www.letapeuk.co.uk/home/event-info/distances-and-prices/
Chiltern and South Bucks Joint Local Plan
Both Chiltern District Council and South Bucks District Council are preparing a joint Local Plan for Chiltern and South Bucks Districts. The next stage of the process will be the publication of the Local Plan for consultation prior to its submission for an examination in public. The following committee meeting dates for the approval of the Local Plan and Local Development Scheme have been confirmed:
- Joint Overview & Scrutiny Committee - Monday 29 April 2019
- Joint Committee - Wednesday 1 May 2019
- South Bucks District Council's Full Council - Tuesday 14 May 2019
- Chiltern District Council's Full Council - Wednesday 15 May 2019
Prior to each meeting the relevant documents and draft copies of the Local Plan will be uploaded to https://www.southbucks.gov.uk/meetings and https://www.chiltern.gov.uk/article/7606/Browse-and-Search-Meetings-Agendas-and-Minutes
Subject to the outcome of these meetings, publication is then anticipated to be in late May / early June. The new timetable for the Local Plan will be formalised through a revision to the Local Development Scheme.
Chiltern and South Bucks Building Control
The joint Building Control team covering Chiltern and South Bucks Districts can offer a range of services that may be useful for your business. Building Control ensures compliance with Building Regulations, which cover the design and construction of buildings. They can offer you:
- A team of professional Building Control staff with extensive knowledge of the regulations and how to comply with them, along with access to the biggest network of Building Control professionals in the UK.
- Their own dedicated structural engineer.
- Unbiased advice and competitive charges.
- Local knowledge of conditions peculiar to this area.
- A single point of contact for your entire plan, checking requirements no matter where in England your project is sited.
- Fast acknowledgement and turnaround of applications.
- Same day call-outs if you phone before 10am.
- Access to free advice on Building Control matters prior to making an application and ability for our team to discuss and work out solutions to problems with other council departments.
For more information come along to the Building Control drop-in surgery on the 4th of June from 2pm until 4pm at South Bucks District Council. Contact the team for further details: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01895 837296
- Chiltern Community Grant Aid Scheme 2019/20 -Community organisations and projects are invited to apply for funding from the Chiltern Community Grant Aid Scheme 2019/20. The scheme provides financial support to local voluntary organisations to help them improve the community services they offer to enhance and protect the quality of life in the Chiltern District. Applications close at 5pm on the 31st May. Find out more and apply at: https://www.chiltern.gov.uk/article/9274/Chiltern-Community-Grant-Aid-Scheme-2019-20
- European Parliamentary Elections - The day of poll is Thursday 23rd May 2019 7am to 10pm. If you are an EU citizen living in the UK and wish to vote in this election you must register by the 7th May. For more information see https://www.southbucks.gov.uk/EUElections2019 or https://www.chiltern.gov.uk/EUElections2019
Created with images by wuestenigel - "Brexit medal coin on a black background" • a loves dc - "career" • Foreign and Commonwealth Office - "Latin America Business Networking reception" • nattanan23 - "money profit finance" • free pictures of money - "Money" • geralt - "cyber attack encryption" • kyz - "Meta-tourism" • Mr Cup / Fabien Barral - "A stack of old newspapers" • jarmoluk - "architect building joy" • Witches Falls Cotages - "news"