one hour a week can...
- facilitate autonomy and a sense of purpose
- promote critical thinking
- develop creative problem solving skills
- celebrate failure as in important part of any process
- encourage creativity, adaptability, flexibility
- reinforce collaboration with peers, staff and experts (collaboration is the new innovation)
- intrinsic motivation
Much of education is oriented, for better or worse, toward making a living, rather than making a life ~ Logan LaPlante
Creativity is as important as literacy and we should treat it with the same status ~ Sir Ken Robinson
The Confidence of a Child 3:42-6:01
IBM’s Institute for Business Value recently surveyed 1,500 chief executives to understand what the most highly sought after business skills are today. These CEOs identify "creativity" as the most important leadership competency for the successful enterprise of the future. (NYSE: IBM - News)
Genius Hour Potential?
- Better problem solvers
- Better prepared for the rigor of CCSS
- Better equipped to successfully break down the complexity and rigor of Smarter Balanced and NECAP Science questions
what comes first? A driving question or the potential impact?
It depends. it is organic.
Change the World!
- educate others
- solve a problem
- call people to action
- build/make something useful
- plan an event
- raise money for a purpose
- recognize/inspire others
- design a better way to do something
Making a Pitch
- Organize Folders (Physical or electronic)
- Collaborate with your school Librarian
- Create a survey (SurveyMonkey or a Google Form)
- Conduct an Interview with an "Expert"