weekly school News
** Each week be sure to scroll to the bottom of the weekly newsletter for all kinds of community and extracurricular activities/events (basketball, dance, cheerleading, cross country, etc...)
1. NWEA Testing Window: Students will be taking the middle of the year MAP test over the next three weeks.
2. Rally for Riley: We appreciate everybody's efforts in raising money for Riley Hospital for Children. We are on track to exceed last year's donation of $800. This donation will make MIS a Miracle School again this year. Thank you so much for your help with this very worthy cause.
3. Kid's Talk Parent Meeting: This meeting will be held in the JBS library on December 17th from 7-8pm. This will be an opportunity for parents to listen to a brief presentation from Julie Coon and ask questions about the Kids Talk program for grades K-6.
4. Clinic Reminder: All medication, including over the counter, requires a request to administer document to be completed and brought to school by a parent or guardian. The request to administer form as well as quite a bit of other health related information can be found at the following link: http://www.gcsc.k12.in.us/?page_id=590. Please note that cough drops are exempt from this policy.
5. Spell Bowl: Prior to Thanksgiving Break, our spell bowl teams represented MIS unbelievably well. The 4th grade team placed 2nd in the local competition which placed them #15 in the state out of 57 teams. Our 5th/6th grade team won the local competition. The team score was good enough to place them #13 out of 78 teams in their division in the statewide rankings. This is quite an accomplishment for both of these teams. Thanks to them and Mrs. Tilley for all of the hard work during practice.
6. Safe School Alert: SafeSchools Alert is our district's tip reporting service. If you have information about a threat to our safety, do your part and report it. Please remember, you can remain anonymous. Should you have a need to report an issue, please click on the link below for details on how to do so.
7. PTO News: PTO is looking for parents and volunteers. They do so much for our school, and we would love to see you join us in any way you can. The next PTO meeting will be Thursday, December 13th from 2:30-3:15 in the library. If you have any questions, please contact the office for more information. We would love for you to join us!
8. Toys for Tots: If you would like to make a donation to the cause, a collection box is available in the school office until December 8th.
9. #thankfulThursday: As mentioned earlier this year, we had a large group of staff members who met on several occasions over the summer to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
Knowing this, the office staff is requesting your help again. We would like to share with our staff regular, positive feedback from a variety of sources. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your continued support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A couple of comments that have been shared:
"Mr. Cooper always goes the extra mile! My daughter has struggled a little with some math and he has always responded quickly to every question we have. He is a wonderful teacher and my daughter absolutely looks up to him!"
"It was evident in our Parent/Teacher discussion that Ms. Mullen really knew my son; both the positives and areas for improvement. i got home that night thinking, "gosh, what terrific feedback all round; how does she manage to do that for 25+ students???!!". Thanks for all you do; not just with my child but his peers as well."
10. Gotcha Prize Winners: We would like to recognize the following students for exhibiting great character throughout the week. They were selected as our "Gotcha" prize winners this week:
Cecelia S., Dylan E., Mayson E., Nathan H., Gage G., Mason M., Jocelyn P., and Robbie W.
11. ILEARN (replaces ISTEP+): Attached is a document from the Indiana Department of Education identifying 5 Key Points for Parents to know about the new assessment students will be taking this spring
12. School Dismissal Manager: Should you still need to sign up for School Dismissal Manager, please click the link below.
13. Volunteer Forms: Click on the link. Once you are on the page, click on the red apply button in the upper right hand corner to complete the process.
Keeping Up With the Latest Information at MIS
Click the button below for more details
- MIS PTO Email Contact: MaxwellPTO.email@example.com
- MIS Twitter Feeds (#proud2bMIS, #MISgotchas)
December 13th: PTO Meeting (2:30pm - Library)
December 17th: Kid's Talk Parent Meeting (7:00pm - JBS Library)
December 24th-January 2nd: Winter Break
January 7th: School Resumes
OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY