Sept. 30th - Announcement... me today: 🤧 🤒
You tomorrow: self-instructed practise according to the following tasks (feel free to collaborate) - Solutions can be found below.
The missing piece in the text: Localization is way to redefine globalization (Shuman)
...village in Colombia that has pioneered solar and wind technologies and set up organic farms, social services and reforestation efforts.
Solution to your homework for today (your handout 1-3) ... (something similar as the following)
1. In „Localization is Way to redifine globalization“, author Michael H. Shuman sugests that a loclized approach to business is the way forward if we wish to secure a stable future.
2. Some skeptics .... Skeptics wish to continue participating in the global economy.
3. Paragraph 4: it illustrates what has gone before by picking up on the theme of establishing self-reliance from the previous paragraph and expanding on it by making suggestions on how the concept might work in practice.
Now your assignments for today:Focus on structure (your handout)
If confronted with a task like that you needn‘t focus on the content so much, but rather on how the text is structured.You can relate your answers to the various pragraphs, but can also just summarize their meaning. A good way to start are the prep questions on your handout (focus on structure). 🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈
Think first... then check the answers below.
1. subject: (role of the local business in a globalized economy)
2. globalized economy can be redefined to the benefit of all involved by a greater reliance on local businesses in the South.
3. Peter Singer: Shumer does not believe that the Third World benefits from its involvement in the global economy.
4. in support of S‘s thesis: localized economies: greater social and economic stability; Gandhi‘s model of self-reliance can be copied; greater self-reliance in the North can be used as a model for the South; Bremen‘s support for Pune, INdia; local innovations such as micro-credits schould be considered
- What can you say about syntax? And style?
- Have you found antithesis, hyperbole, accumulation...
- Is the text rather biased and tendentious or objective/ neutral?
- How about use of adjectives / adverbs - what about positive/negative connotations?
Let‘s take a look at language and style. Use color coding and mark:
- RED: Sentences in which author criticizes / praises localization / globalization
- GREEN: benefit of localization
- BLUE: adj./adv. that express author‘s judgement and convey his tone
- BLACK: Stylistic devices to drive home his message
- Stylistic devices: have you found hyperbole, accumulation, positive connotations (nouns, adjectives)
- Tone? Neutral? Biased? Objective?
Watch the videos and analyze it (tone, structure, style, target group...) and discuss differences.
Sorryyyyyy... forgot to post the assignment: New Greenline, 158-159
documentary: The corporation
for your interest...
We‘re in Act 2 now...
meet the cast...
Homework assignment till Friday: Finish reading Act one, please. Really do it!
This is just a screenshot of the fish mentioned in the play - for safety reasons.
Caution: Clips you find probably contain inappropriate behavior and sounds...
The Media... Q11/2
watch this! Critical awareness required..
A picture says more than a thousand words
Praetorius on „Qualitätsjournalismus in der digitalen Welt“
Decline of the newspapers?
John Oliver in LAST WEEK TONIGHT about journalism...