The Secret Annex
Anne Frank and her family were forced to live in an empty section of the building for Otto Frank's company located on a a canal close to Westernkerk. The annex was invisible from the street and was very well hidden behind a bookshelf where nobody would expect a couple of families to be hiding.
The Canals in Amsterdam are responsible for almost all of the transportation in Amsterdam. Anne Franks house was right off of a canal named prinsenghracht. All of these canals resulted in people making a home out of houseboats where they would pursue life on the water. In the winter the lake freezes over and locals go ice skating on the frozen water.
1. Marriage between Jews and subjects of the state of German or related blood are forbidden. Marriages nevertheless concluded are invalid, even if concluded abroad to circumvent the law. Annulment proceedings can be initiated only by the State Prosecutor.
2. Extramarital intercourse between Jews and subjects of the state of German or related blood is forbidden.
3. Jews may not employ in their household female subjects of the state of German or related blood who are under 45 years old.
4. Jews are forbidden to fly the Reich or National flag or to display the Reich colors. They are, on the other hand, permitted to display the Jewish colors. The exercise of this right is protected by the State.
5. Any person who violates the prohibition under I will be punished by a prison sentence with hard labor. A male who violates the prohibition under I will be punished with a prison sentence with or without hard labor. Any person violating the provisions under III or IV will be punished with a prison sentence of up to one year and a fine, or with one or the other of these penalties. The Reich Minister of the Interior, in coordination with the Deputy of the Führer and the Reich Minister of Justice, will issue the Legal and Administrative regulations required to implement and complete the Law. The Law takes effect on the day following promulgations except for III, which goes into force on January 1, 1936. Nuremberg, September 15, 1935 at the Reich Party Congress of Freedom.
Nuremberg Law is a devastating law that was introduced in September 15, 1935 at the annual Nuremburg Rally of the Nazi Party. They were a terrible set of laws prohibiting the Jews from their natural rights as well as their life with the Germans.
Propoganda is a biased opinion base on usually untrue opinions. Propoganda is usually used to mislead people into thinking what they are saying is true. It tries to influence you into thinking that political information makes sense and is true. Propoganda was used by Hitler in World War II to get Germans to think poorly of the Jews. In today's, world, propoganda is used in television ads, music, podcasts, speeches and Many other sources. Nowadays, people use propoganda to promote products or sell things.
Anne Frank, a young Jewish girl that was forced to go into hiding was born on June 12, 1929. Anne Frank was a lively, happy, and playful young girl which was unfortunate considering their circumstances. Before the Franks moved into hiding, Anne had a very good life prior to them moving into hiding with many friends at school, good grades, and a very optimistic attitude. Anne Frank was said to have matured a lot over her two years in the secret Annex. Jo kleiman mentioned "Anne Frank was thirteen when she came here and fifteen when she was taken away. In those two years, she went from being a child to being a young woman." As the two years came to a close, the Franks were found and taken to a concentration camp where Anne died in February of 1945.
Otto Frank, Father of Anne, and Margot Frank and husband of Edith Frank was born on May 12, 1889. Otto Frank was employed at their family bank which is known for their currency trading. When they went into hiding, everyone pictured Otto as their leader; the man in charge. If there were any disputes in the annex, they went to Mr. Frank to try to resolve that issue. on August ninth 1980, Otto Frank died in Basel Switzerland.
Edith Holländer Frank
Edith Holländer Frank, The mother of the Frank family, was born in Aachen Germany on January 16, 1900. Edith was the youngest of four children in her family. She had 2 older brothers and one older sister. Edith was supposedly a great mother to Anne and Margot willing to do anything to her children according to Otto Frank. But sadly, Miep describes Edith as 'depressed' upon moving into their temporary home of the secret annex. Like for example, The others enjoyed playing games as they waited for allies. Edith ended up dying on January 6, in 1945 in Auschwitz-Birkenau.
Margot Frank, Anne's sister, was born February 16, 1926 in Frankfurt am Main. Margot was a very quiet young women and also very timid. Like Anne, Margot had also been logging her thoughts in a diary that was never found. When Anne began to fall in love with Peter, Anne believed that Margot liked him also which ended up doing nothing but upsetting Margot. After the war, Anne wrote that Margot wanted to become a nurse and emigrate to Palestine Mandate but she never had enough time to. In February of 1945, margot dies of Typhus in Bergen-Belson
Act I Summary
Act I of this story starts off with Miep and Mr. Frank re-visiting the secret annex and getting vague memories of living in it. Then, the book flashed back to their time in the Annex, and we focus in on the very beginning of their long stay in the Annex and Mr. Frank is explaining the "Rules" for while they will be in hiding. We are also introduced to the other occupants of the secret annex who are The Franks and The Van Daans, Some of the rules consisted of; The way they must ration food, they must stay quiet, and they settle sleeping arrangements. We find out that Peter and Anne had bad blood because of their altered personalities and we also meet the newest member of the Annex, Mr Dussel, who Anne instantly realizes she doesn't like. As time goes on, there is a scenario when Anne has a nightmare and as her mother tries to comfort her, she rejects her mothers compassion, and intends that she only wants to be with her father. As Hanukkah comes around, Anne tries to clear things up with everyone by personally making everyone gifts that they all enjoy very much. In the same scene, they hear a noise coming from downstairs in the shop but they assume that it was a thief and that he ran away at the fact that he heard peter fall off a chair in the Annex.