Casertavecchia (fraction of Caserta) is a medieval village perched on the slopes of Tifatini approximately 401 meters above sea level and 4 km away to the north-east from Caserta. In the Middle Ages it constituted the center of Caserta. Since 1960 it is among the Italian national monuments.
he Casertavecchia origin are still unknown, but according to some information gleaned from a script of the Benedictine monaco Erchemperto, History of the Lombards Beneventanorum already in the year 861 A.D. there was an urban center called Casam Irtam (from the Latin: "the village at the top").
The village has suffered throughout history various dominations.
Originally belonged to the Lombards, Landolfo of Capua Lombards his father's death, Count Landone, it takes possession of the city; but his uncle, Pandone Raptor manages to grab him, after 863 Casertavecchia was occupied by the son of Raptor, Landolfo. But only 879 with the other son of the Raptor, Pandolfo, begins the series of Caserta accounts.
As a result of the Saracen invasions and devastation of the cities of the plain, the people and the clergy of the surrounding areas, particularly those of the lost city of Calatia, found in Casertavecchia, protected by the mountains, a safe haven.
In this period the population increased Endore with the construction of the cathedral, consecrated to the cult of St. Michael the Archangel. Through various events the village passed under the Swabian with Riccardo di Lauro (1232-1266), which increased the importance of the village even from the political point of view.
In 1442 the village passed under Aragonese rule, thus beginning his long and gradual decline: in Casertavecchia remained only the bishop and the seminary.
With the advent of the Bourbons and the construction of the Palace, Caserta become the new heart of every activity at the expense of Casertavecchia, which, in 1842, the bishop is removed, also he moved to Caserta.
In 1960 the Casertavecchia settlement was listed as national monuments Italians . Since then, the village has been progressively renewed interest, mainly related to tourism.
The village of Casertavecchia is a tourist destination because of the Duomo, the bell tower, the remains of the castle and the streets of the whole village reminiscent of the splendor of a time that was.
The remarkable panorama usable in many parts of the village, the summer coolness and the many local pizzerias and ensure that the local residents often go to spend Saturday night in the streets of the village.
There are many folkloristic events, which are held annually in Casertavecchia and in the neighboring villages of Casola, Pozzovetere and Sommana that contributed to the revaluation of the territory.
The church of San Michele Arcangelo, also known as the Cathedral, is the main place of Catholic worship of old Caserta, until 1841 the cathedral of the Diocese of Caserta