Students interested in working with the MCTV crew are invited to an interest and planning meeting today (Wednesday, September 13) at 3:00 p.m. in the library's Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) Studio. Production for the fall will begin in the next two weeks. For more information, contact Ryan Capell.
DEBATE TEAM UPDATE
The Mississippi College Debate Team will attend its first tournament of the semester October 6-8 at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Ark. It's still not too late for you to join the team! For details, contact team sponsor Dr. Merle Ziegler.
lambda pi eta
Membership in Lambda Pi Eta, the official national communication honor society for undergraduates, is composed of students who have declared and interest in the field of communication and have achieved a high level of academic excellence. To be eligible for membership, students must have completed 60 hours of coursework, including 12 in Communication; have a GPA of at least 3.0 (3.25 in Communication courses); be in the upper 35% of their graduating class; and be currently enrolled as a full-time student in good standing. For more information, contact MC chapter sponsor Dr. Merle Ziegler or Abbie Holcombe.
fall scenes AUDITIONS
Also, auditions for Fall Scenes are scheduled for Wednesday, September 20, and Thursday, September 21, in Aven Little Theater. For more information on either of these audition opportunities, contact Sandra Grayson.
war correspondents needed
Students interested in a unique journalistic experience are invited to Vicksburg National Military Park, in Vicksburg, Miss., on Saturday, Sept. 30, to be "embedded” as a "war correspondent" with local ROTC students. You'll have the change to interview soldiers and describe the scene as you take notes for your story. Students producing video stories are welcome, too. The exercise will take about three hours, and lunch will be provided. For more information on this unique experience, contact Dr. Tim Nicholas ASAP.
communication student bible study
All students are invited to a student-led Bible study every Thursday at 10:50 a.m. in Aven 105. The book of Galatians will be the topic of conversation this semester. Snacks are provided. For more information, contact Lacey Higgins.
New UNDERgraduate Concentration
A new concentration in Political Communication has been added to the array of academic programs available to undergraduates. Click here for more information.
COMMUNICATION LAB TUTORING
Need help in your Communication lab-oriented classes? Want to learn more about producing media? Communication Lab tutoring is available each Monday afternoon from 3:00-5:00 p.m. The Communication Lab (in Aven 114) is equipped with eight iMacs each loaded with the complete Adobe Creative Cloud suite of apps, including Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro, Audition, and more. No appointment is needed, but you can make one by contacting Reid Vance. On Mondays, come to Aven 104 for assistance.
Join A Team!
Every student can get involved in one of our many department student organizations. Contact the team sponsor listed for more information.
All Communication students are encouraged to make regular visits to the MC Writing Center to improve their writing skills. It's never too early to schedule an appointment!
"The miniaturization and personalization of technology has led to us being cut off from others in ordinary daily interaction. We trust people less, and we trust our devices more. Which all leads to a fundamental question: Can we build healthy relationships, and build trust, while we are alone with our phones?"
- Wednesday, October 4, 3:00 & 6:00 p.m. - Writing Proficiency Exam (ENG 099), Anderson Hall
- Monday-Tuesday, October 9-10 - Fall Break (No Class Meetings)
- Monday, October 16, time TBA - Graduate Orientation & Convocation
- Friday, October 20, 10:00 a.m. - Distinguished Alumnus Reception, HealthPlex Multi-Purpose Room
- Saturday, October 21, 10:00 a.m. - Homecoming Tailgating on the Quad
- Friday, October 27 - Last Day to Drop a Full Semester Class
- Monday, October 30 - Registration for Spring 2018 Classes Begins
- Friday, November 3 - Participation Deadline for December 2017 Graduation
- Monday-Thursday, November 6-9 - Graduate Comprehensive Exams
- Wednesday-Friday, November 22-24 - Thanksgiving Break (No Class Meetings)
- Tuesday-Friday, November 28-December 1 - The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Swor Auditorium
- Friday, December 1, 9:00 a.m. - Senior Portfolio Evaluations and Luncheon
- Wednesday, December 6, 11:00 a.m. - Communication Christmas Party, Aven Little Theater
- Thursday, December 7 - Study Day
- Friday, December 15 - Commencement, A.E. Wood Coliseum
MC Communication News is published each Wednesday during the fall & spring semesters.