Please find below a list of commonly asked questions regarding our Weidner Cares! events.
If you still have questions, please contact Alex Withrow at email@example.com.
What is Weidner Cares?
Weidner Cares is a series of community service events that we hold in every region across the US and Canada. For every event, we select a nonprofit organization to partner with for a one day project! Our past partners include the Boys & Girls Club, the Permian Basin Mission Center, the Salvation Army, and many, many more.
- At least one event per region is sponsored annually
- Projects are selected based on community need and overall impact
- Any associate that participates (both exempt & non-exempt) will be paid for 8 hours. Just select the “Community Day” earnings code on your time sheet!
How do I get to the event?
At this time, Weidner does not provide transportation or travel accommodations to or from our Weidner Cares events. However, we always encourage carpooling to make parking and traffic a little bit easier on everyone! Please speak with your team, or contact me directly, if you do not have a way to get to the event and we will do our best to accommodate everyone!
What is the standard timeline of a Weidner Cares! event?
- 8:15-8:30 Everyone arrives at the project site and meets with their team.
- 8:30-8:45 Everyone breaks off into their assigned work groups, and goes to their project area with their team captain, bringing along any supplies.
- 8:45-1:00 Work time! Everyone will work with their team on an assigned project. If your team completes a project, your team captain will communicate with your RD or RVP to find a new task.
- 1:00-2:00 Lunch! We will cater in a lunch for all your hard work. This is also when we will take our group picture.
- 2:00-5:30 Complete the projects we started before lunch, move on to new small projects, and make sure everything is cleaned up and left in better condition than the way we found it.
What should I bring / wear?
A few weeks before your event we will send out a list of everyone’s individual projects so you'll know what kind of clothing to wear (ex. if you're assigned to indoor painting, wear a shirt and pants you don't mind getting paint on). Additionally, if you know you'll be working outside, you may want to bring sunscreen and bug spray. If you have any physical limitations that would prevent you from participating in a specific kind of project please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you!
You are also more than welcome to bring along any personal tools or supplies to help with your project. Please make sure your name and property are prominently written on any personal items you bring, as you will be responsible for making sure everything comes back home with you!
Do I need to bring lunch?
No! We will provide a catered lunch in appreciation of all your hard work. Lunch will be held at approximately 1:00 PM, and bottled water will also be provided. If you tend to get hungry throughout the day, I would recommend bringing a few snacks to munch on before and after lunch.
The event is scheduled on my day off, what should I do?
If this event falls on your normally scheduled day off and you would still like to participate, you’ll be given another day off within the pay-period so you won’t miss out on the opportunity. Your supervisor will work out the schedule with you. Any associate choosing to not join the rest of the team will report to their home property as a regularly scheduled work day.
How can I continue to work with our community partner in the future?
Our community partners generally LOVE having added volunteer support! You can either get their contact information on the day of the event, or reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get contact information or volunteer ideas. In the past, our communities have held clothing drives, donated food, and individually volunteered with former partners!
How can I submit a nonprofit partner for consideration?
Great question! Every employee is encouraged to send in nonprofits for consideration. These requests are submitted the same way as any other support ticket on ZenDesk.
Please consider the following criteria before submitting a nonprofit:
- The project needs of the organization (Do all of their projects require specific skills?)
- Amount of work (Do they have enough projects to sustain our group for 8 hours?)
- Can the organization accommodate a group of our size (Where will we eat lunch? Will it be cramped?)
- Ease of access (How far is it from the bulk of our properties?)
- Parking (Will we need to carpool? Is there on/offsite parking?)
If you have never submitted a ticket, you can follow the steps below:
- Go to www.weidner.zendesk.com
- Click “Submit a Request” in the upper right-hand corner of the screen
- Fill out your contact information and the subject line
- Under “What community is this regarding” select your home property
- Under “What is this ticket regarding?” select “Public Relations,” and then “Weidner Cares”
- Give a detailed description of your nomination, including any contact information or links that may be relevant, and click “Submit”!
To learn more about our previous events, check out the Weidner Blog here.