A good example of a Victorian Italianate Renaissance style railway station that has an important relationship in the urban sense to the other major buildings of the township.
Italianate building in the Ritz style, built in 1883. Symmetrically designed, the single storey low central section has its roof concealed by a parapet and is flanked either side by square pavilions having mansarade curved roofs. Walls are face brick* and stucco with cast iron entrance verandah and platform canopy. Tuckpointed flemish bond.
The Junee station building is an interesting building architecturally for its Victorian Free Classical style incorporates French Second Empire characteristics in the form of mansard roofs. The single storey building is constructed of face brick, with stucco decoration. It is symmetrical with a low, parapetted roof; round or segmented pediments are centrally located on the parapet on the street and platform sides. The cornice beneath the parapet has paired brackets.
The railway station is a key element in the streetscape of this part of Junee. Together with the large hotels and other buildings nearby, the station plays an important role in creating the historic qualities of central Junee.
A large two storey faced brick and stucco hotel of the C.1900 period. It has a large hipped iron roof with two false parapet gables. The two storey verandah over the footpath is a particularly good example of art nouveau style in the iron ballustrading, the lance and timber columns and quatrefoils.
A fine early Federation pub remaining in near original condition.
JUNEE ROUNDHOUSE RAILWAY MUSEUM
Construction of the Junee Roundhouse commenced in 1942 and was officially opened on Friday 29 September 1947, although it had already been in service since January 1947. When built, the 100 foot turntable was the largest in the Southern Hemisphere, and now exceeded only by the 105 foot turntables at Broadmeadow, Thirlmere and Werris Creek.
The Roundhouse is of brick construction and has 42 repair bays, a machine shop, and until the demise of steam in the early 1960's, had a large elevated coal stage and a de-ashing pit.
With the arrival of diesel power came dramatic changes to the workforce, especially in the trade areas. Boilermakers, blacksmiths and steamfitters were replaced by diesel fitters and electricians.
The Roundhouse was built to replace the original locomotive depot situated adjacent the southwest line at the northern end of the Station.
During the 60 years after the original depot was constructed, additional sheds and structures were built, but were unsuitable for maintenance of future larger and more powerful locomotives.