Environment & Sustainability Environment is everything that is around us. It can be living or non-living things. It includes physical, chemical and other natural forces. Living things live in their environment. They constantly interact with it and adapt themselves to conditions in their environment.
A vegetarian diet requires two-and-a-half times less the amount of land needed to grow food, compared to a meat-based diet. Livestock in the UK eat more than half of the 20 million tonnes of cereal grown. That’s over 50% of wheat and 60% of barley. The whole food production process of farm-to-plate totals 30% of all global greenhouse gas emissions.
Are insects the answer? They have more calories per kilogram than other meats and their environmental impact is tiny.
Effects of pollution / Transport
- Diesel exhaust causes cancer
- Other health problems
- Diesel causes climate change
- Diesel cars cause most of the problem
- Diesel cars are 10 times more as polluting as petrol cars
- Pollution filters are routinely removed from diesel cars
Thing to do to stop pollution:
- Walk or ride your bike whenever possible. One of the best things you can do to help stop pollution is to stop using your car for short trips. If the weather is nice and you don’t have too far to go, consider walking or riding your bike. You will help reduce air pollution and you will get some exercise and fresh air in the process.
- Use public transportation. Riding the bus, train, or subway is another great way to avoid using your personal vehicle and reduce carbon emissions. If you have access to good public transportation where you live, take advantage of it. Since you won’t have to worry about keeping your eyes on the road, you can take advantage of the time to read, catch up on news, or just relax.
- Consolidate your trips. Making lots of little trips over the course of a few days contributes more pollution to the environment every time you hop in your car. Instead of running your errands over the course of a few days, try to consolidate them into one round trip. Consolidating your trips into one long trip will also save you money since starting your car when the engine is cold consumes 20% more fuel than driving your car.
- Carpool to school or work. Long commutes to school or work are just part of life for many people. If walking and public transportation are not good options for you, consider joining a carpool to your school or place of work. By taking turns driving and riding with others, you will reduce carbon emission and you will also save on gas money each week. Carpooling is also a great way to develop friendships with your co-workers and reduce the stress of your commute.
- Get regular maintenance on your vehicle. In addition to finding ways to use your car less, keeping your car in good condition can also help reduce carbon emissions. As an added bonus, keeping your car in good condition will also help avoid more major problems with your vehicle. Get regular maintenance on your car to keep it running well. Get an oil change every three months or 3,000 miles. Keep tires inflated according to your vehicle’s recommendations. Get your air, oil, and fuel filters changed according to your vehicle’s recommendations.
- The word ‘energy’ actually originates from the ancient Green word "energeia".
- Energy can never be destroyed, only rearranged or changed. This is called the law of conservation.
- Almost all types of energy are either ‘potential energy’ or ‘kinetic energy’.
- The energy in lightning is potential energy and can be changed into light, sound and heat energy.
- A type of plastic can be made from Milk.
- There is a species of fungus from the Amazon that feeds on plastic.
- Little plastic thing at the end of data cables is called a Ferrite Bead,...
- The Beijing subways allow travelers to use plastic bottles as a form...
- In the 60s, General Electric designed a system...
Created with images by Dustan Woodhouse - "untitled image" • skeeze - "world earth planet" • PublicDomainPictures - "background berries berry" • Stelogic - "spider tarantula creepy" • Viktor Theo - "untitled image" • Oimheidi - "windräder wind power wind park" • meineresterampe - "plastic cups garbage disposable cups" • Taun Stewart - "untitled image" • dimitrisvetsikas1969 - "good bye funny sign"