Here, I took printed strips of Helvetica, and cut it up to distort it. For this distortion, I cut wavy lines into the font strip. I thought this would turn out really cool. (almost like an actual wave on the sea). However, it looks kind of tacky, and like the old Microsoft Word Art. (You know those funky ones with the rainbow ombre?)
This one was made to look a little bit like shattered glass, as I cut the pieces into little triangles and slid them different directions to distort the font strip. I thought this also looked cool, because the shattered glass effect gives it a really modern feel to go with the sleek modern feel of Helvetica.
For this distortion, I did a similar effect to the shattered glass one, except I cut pieces out of the sides and pulled them back to create little gaps in the font slip. It reminds me of computer pixels. I don't like this one as much as the others, but it doesn't look too bad.
This distortion looks nice on the right, but not so much on the left, as I tried to create a fade effect, but it didn't work. I should have cut slits all the way through, because it will probably look nicer. The slits give the font strip an italic feel with gaps.
I tried 3 very different color schemes on my portrait, and I found that the red on white portrait (on the far right) is my favorite. The green on black in the middle is too Halloween-y, and the blue doesn't match the pink on the far left. I think making the portrait color darker than the background color makes the portrait look more human-like, and it's just more aesthetically pleasing for this particular project.