SEPTEMBER 4, 2018 - APRIL 28, 2019
This page highlights the updates, additions, and exciting announcements you can expect at Doxa this upcoming season.
ORIENTATION: August 18, 2 - 5 pm
Doxa Studios at Paramount Baptist Church, 3801 S. Western St. Building B, 79109
"Come and Go" format:
- Meet & Greet with Doxa teachers
- Pick up tights if ordered (see details below)
- Shop secondhand dancewear, shoes, and accessories, Doxa t-shirts, dress-up costumes!
- Receive information on spring performances
- Ask lingering questions and start the year well-informed and ready for a great season of dance at Doxa!
Optional: Revolution Tights Order
DEADLINE TO ORDER: AUGUST 1ST
From time to time, Doxa orders great-quality low-cost dance tights from a company we use for costumes. These tights range from $5-7 a pair and you can choose from Classic Pink, Pink, or Black in this order. Classic Pink tights have a slightly darker hue and look great with any skin tone. Both Pink and Classic Pink are acceptable in class and recital, but please note that only in Violets, Orchids, and Performance Development classes can students wear Black tights. Please consult the size chart when ordering for accurate sizing.
To make it easier to match your order with your dancer, please note their name and specific class level/day/time in the "Special Instructions" memo box prior to checkout (shopping cart view). It helps us greatly if tights are ordered through the website, but if you are unable to pay online for some reason, please email me with your dancer's size, color, style, and number of pairs desired. A size chart is available at the link above.
Ordered tights will be distributed at Orientation on August 18th. Those not picked up will be available during the first week of classes.
Need help finding the rest of your dress code attire?
We will have all of our "Doxa Shop" current donated dancewear out at orientation! We would love to have your outgrown level-specific color leotards, pink tights, or pink ballet shoes to include in the inventory - feel free to bring items to the church office during business hours any time before the 18th. Please make sure all donations are clean and in good condition. Dancewear is passed along to other families at very low prices ($4 leotards - woohoo!) and all proceeds help offset the cost of costumes for performances and other projects.
If we don't have what you need (or you prefer not to wait until then!) we recommend the following resources:
- Razzle Dazzle Dancewear - near Stein Mart at 34th and Bell; Brenda knows all of our level colors and tries to keep Doxa families well supplied with options
- discountdance.com - you can support Doxa and shop online! Use studio code 78113 when checking out. You can also search for dress code suggestion lists by searching for "Doxa" and clicking on "Dress Lists" under Brittanie Wooten - then select the level of your dancer from the drop-down list.
Boys Levels: Updated May 2018
Boys are now accepted beginning at age 5! These 5 and 6 years olds are known as Saplings and can participate in co-ed classes (alongside Buttercups).
The Oaks level is now expanded to begin at age 7. Boys 7 and up are encouraged to enroll in a co-ed class as well, but a boys-only class is also available to them on Sunday afternoons.
Cedars begins at age 14, or younger by placement per Doxa instructor.
No previous experience is required. Mens classes (Oaks & Cedars) on Sundays taught by Mark Leber are challenging, athletic, and fun! Doxa is intentional about being a safe and encouraging environment for boys to explore their artistic gifts and interests. We have several opportunities for boys to be involved in this year's spring performance as well.
Ballet Magnificat in Amarillo!
Ballet Magnificat Omega Company will return to Doxa in October of this year. We are thrilled to be hosting them again to perform and to offer a workshop for our older dancers. You can find more information about the performance and workshop at the links below.
We will need lots of volunteers to make their tour visit a success! From host homes to providing a meal/snack, or load-in to front of house volunteer for the performance, there are many roles and ways to lend a hand. Monetary donations to support this specific effort are welcome as well. Sign up at the link below!
Tuition: Updated May 2018
Doxa is committed to keeping tuition rates affordable for families. While a small increase was necessary this year to offset costs of growth in the program, we have made every effort to minimize this change in the following ways:
- Tuition amounts are detailed on the Policy page of our website. For clarification, both the monthly and yearly (season-long) tuition amounts are listed. Monthly rates are not dependent upon the number of classes that fall in that month - it is simply a division of the annual rates across 8 monthly payments (September, October, November, December, January, February, March, and April).
- Most levels saw no per-month increase; December and January's payments are just no longer combined. This also evens out the two semesters and makes understanding the withdrawal policy simpler. Please review the policy on our website ahead of time just in case you find yourself with an unexpected need to withdraw before the end of the season in April.
- Tuition is still requested (and posted on portal accounts) on the first of each month; auto-pay is available so you don't have to remember! Or of course, you are always welcome to pay ahead of schedule.
- There are still no late fees - please just communicate by email if you will be substantially late on monthly tuition.
- Registration fee is still once-per-family-per-year, not per student.
- There are still no recital fees or recital tickets to buy. Doxa end-of-year performances are always free admission and open to the public. Invite as many friends and family as you'd like!
OUR DOXA STAFF IS FULL OF EXCITING LIFE CHANGES:
- Congratulations to Samantha Ferguson on her engagement! Samantha will be getting married in December and moving to Tulsa, OK. We are sad to see her go but are so excited for this new adventure for her. For this reason, she will be teaching at Doxa for the fall semester only.
- We are thrilled to celebrate with Josh and Laci McCreary as they will welcome their daughter, Caill, due August 31st! Laci will be taking maternity leave for the majority of the fall, coming back for conditioning in Performance Development II & III classes in early November. She plans to resume a full teaching load in January.
Because of these factors, and the addition of our Performance Development rotation classes, more Doxa classes than usual will have multiple teachers during the year. This does not apply to Sweet Peas or Buttercups, and most Daisies classes.
End of Season Performances
The Ark and The Covenant: APRIL 26-28
All dancers enrolled in Sweet Peas - Orchids and Mens levels will be involved in the same production this year! If you were here in 2015, it will be a similar format to the way we staged Esther. This is different from our typical recital format in a few key ways, so if you have any questions along the way, please ask! We will make every effort to keep you well informed. Much more information to come.
But for now, please calendar and protect these dates!
- Performances: April 26 - 28, 2019
- Dress Rehearsals: April 13 (All), April 22 - 25 (Act II - Lilies through Orchids and Men)
- Auditions for Tulips, Violets, Orchids, Men: October 13 -14
NOTABLE DATES: 2018-19 SEASON
- AUGUST 2: Last Day of Summer Open Classes
- AUGUST 3-4: Upper School Workshop
- AUGUST 18: Orientation
- AUGUST 20: Tickets go on sale for The Scarlet Cord
- AUGUST 24-25: All Night Prayer Meeting & Breakfast (older students encouraged to participate as a group - more details to come)
- SEPTEMBER 4: Season Classes Begin
- SEPTEMBER 24: Withdrawal deadline
- OCTOBER 13-14: Auditions - The Ark and The Covenant
- OCTOBER 26: Ballet Magnificat performs The Scarlet Cord
- OCTOBER 27: Ballet Magnificat Student Workshop
- NOVEMBER 20-22: No Classes, Thanksgiving Break (Tues-Thurs)
- DECEMBER 13: Last day of classes before Christmas Break
- DECEMBER 15: Deadline to give notice if not returning for Spring 2019
- DECEMBER 16: Paramount Christmas Presentation (older Doxa students optional participation - more details to come)
- JANUARY 6: Classes resume
- MARCH 10-14: No Classes, AISD Spring Break (Note: because Easter falls after the last day of regular classes this year, we will not have classes on Sunday, March 10th)
- APRIL 13: Dress Rehearsal & Picture Day for The Ark and The Covenant
- APRIL 18: Last day of regular season classes
- APRIL 21: Load-in and Tech Rehearsal day for The Ark and The Covenant
- APRIL 22-25: Dress Rehearsals
- APRIL 26 - 28: Performances, The Ark and The Covenant