What is Fascia?
- Fascia is the most prevalent tissue in the body yet it is the least understood by your doctor, therapist and trainer.
- The health and function of all joints & muscles are a direct result of the condition of your fascia.
- Healthy circulation in your muscles, joints, arteries, veins, brain & spinal cord is largely dependent on optimal flexibility of your fascia.
- There is NO medication that can improve your fascia.
- There is NO supplement that can optimize your fascia.
- Exercise alone does not optimally balance, align and improve your fascia.
LifeStretch class begins standing and proceeds with movements that should feel easy, free, and fluid. Movements are progressed and smoothly transitioned to the floor on a mat for a variety of flowing and constantly moving, pain-free mobilizations and stretches. Movements have a logical flow, mobilizing joints and shorter chains with smaller muscles and fascia. Movements then progress to longer chains of muscles and multiple joints to manipulate, lengthen, re-align, re-organize, and re-hydrate your fascia.
Participants are encouraged to find their way of progressive movements that are pain-free and efficient. The reward is not only feeling and seeing a progressive increase in movement with ease, but also experiencing the sense of physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing that accompanies it. You will be amazed at how energized and relaxed you will feel after stretching and melting away the "issues in your tissues!"
LifeStretch-What does it do?
As opposed to targeting isolated, single muscles, LifeStretch is a functional mobility and stretch class that progresses through entire chains of neuro-myofascia. It recognizes that the brain learns movement patterns in multiple planes not with uni- planar isolated muscle contractions. Consequently, it uses movement patterns that work with the biology of the body, namely waves. Light waves enter the skin and eyes, activating physiological reactions that keep us alive and make us see. EKG signals are the waves of the heart, as it oscillates and beats to propagate the waves of blood that create pulses felt through the body.
In keeping with that theme LifeStretch uses the StretchWaveTM as the fundamental way to move the body in an easy, comfortable undulating and oscillating fashion to move freely. The StretchWave breaks through movement restrictions not by painful and excessive force but by synchronizing breath with efficient movement to facilitate the best path for an individual’s body to take. In this way, each person experiences LifeStretch as if it was designed specifically for them. With regular class participation, attendees will realize huge gains in mobility and function quicker than they ever have before.
LifeStretch-How does it work?
One unique feature of the choreography of LifeStretch is the use of self- traction to create space in joints, greater ease of movement, avoid pinching in joints and to yield bigger gains in mobility. When traction with inhalation is followed by exhalation on the mobility-stretch sequences, range of motion increases rapidly without discomfort. Oscillation-circumduction mobilizations lubricate and warm up joints prior to stretching, so that there is no risk of a negative stretch reflex or pain from moving/stretching too fast or too far.
The brain and nervous system more quickly learns new movement patterns to replace faulty ones due to the non-painful, quick gains and ease with range of motion gains. Proprioception and kinesthesia-the abilities to sense movement and respond quickly and accurately while one is moving are greatly enhanced. Motor patterning is optimized and translates to more efficient posture, gait and other functional activities of daily living.
LifeStretch-How is it different from traditional stretching & some styles of yoga?
- Interconnected global approach. LifeStretch uses anatomy trains or fascial “nets” instead of isolated muscles. Anatomy trains are body-wide connections among muscles and connective tissue or myofascial “webbing”. LifeStretch is about stretching fascia, moving in multiple planes, and correcting fundamental movement patterns not just muscles.
- Assessment & re-assessment. Each stretch or series of stretches begins with a mobility assessment and then a reassessment to compare and see how range of motion, flexibility, muscular balance, and symmetry has changed or improved.
- Individual Journey. In LifeStretch there are no perfect poses or ideal forms. It is a non-competitive atmosphere. Variety of movement and continuous, perpetual, and flowing movement is encouraged as this has been found to be the healthiest for the tissue and for working with the nervous system. Instead of holding a stretch, the student undulates into and out of the stretch, oscillating at various tempos and directions their tissue dictates. This type of stretching is used in conjunction with the StretchWave concept. Students are also given a chance to go back to a specific side to create more balance. It does not have to be a certain number or even number of repetitions.
- Breath Based. Instead of Reps. LifeStretch, like many forms of yoga, emphasizes synchronizing breathing with movement. Movement unfolds from the breath.
- No Pain-Only Stretch Awareness. LifeStretch recognizes that motor learning does not happen in the presence of pain. Students stretch in an exploratory manner into “stretch awareness” but without entering the absolute end ranges; keeping the nervous system calm, breaking and replacing faulty movement patterns with healthy and good movement patterns.
- Self-Traction. LifeStretch emphasizes self-traction to open joint capsules and decompress joints. This creates optimal mobility and releases adhesions in the joint capsule and another connective tissues. Relaxation levels increase through joint mechano-receptors, endorphins are released into the bloodstream, and pain levels are reduced. Traction allows maximal lengthening of of all the connective tissues and eliminates jamming and impingements while stretching. LifeStretch targets fascial components deep inside the joint capsule, ligaments, tendons, and muscle tissues, dramatically increasing ROM (range of motion) and providing the greatest flexibility gains.
- increases WEIGHT LOSS
- increases MOBILITY
- increases STRENGTH
- improves BALANCE
- improves RECOVERY
- improves SLEEP
- improves SEX
- decreases PAIN
Lack of Flexibility
- decreases WEIGHT LOSS
- decreases MOBILITY
- decreases STRENGTH
- decreases BALANCE
- slows RECOVERY
- makes SEX boring
- increases PAIN
47% of your flexibility is locked up in your joints.
42% of your flexibility potential is in your fascia.
There is NO medication that can improve your fascia
There is NO supplement that can optimize your fascia.
Exercise alone does not optimally balance, align and improve your fascia.