Scholastic Education recommends the following considerations when building a classroom library:
- A minimum of 30 books per student in good condition
- At least 30% of books should be published within the last 3-5 years
- 5 new books per student each year
- 50-70% nonfiction titles
- A minimum of 10% reference books
- A wide range of reading levels, 2 to 3 years above and below grade level
- A rich variety of multicultural books, genres, authors, and themes
- Multiple copies of popular titles and text sets
- Digital texts, ebooks, and multimedia formats
Read more about their recommendations in this report on the joys and power of classroom libraries.
Created with images by Jamie Street - "untitled image" • Frank Vessia - "untitled image" • Anita Jankovic - "untitled image" • Kristine Tanne - "Green spruce branch on blurred background"