INQUIRY QUESTION: how much can we learn about the events of the past from art?
WHAT WILL I DO? (TASK): Decide how accurate the Bayeux Tapestry (primary evidence) depicts the Battle of Hastings.
HOW WILL I DO IT? (PROCESS): You will need to create a table and record your notes to ANALYSE the following two sources below - find information that helps answer the following questions in the dot points below:
- what CAUSED the battle to happen? And, what CHANGED as a result of the battle?
- what does the tapestry tell us about daily life at the time?
- what does the tapestry tell us about the nature of warfare at the time?
- who made the tapestry, and whose point of view would be displayed in it? Whose point of view might be missing?
- what might the purpose be for the tapestry's creation? (why do you think it was made?)
- are there any problems with using the Tapestry to understand what happened at the Battle of Hastings? (contestability) Explain with reference to the tapestry.
SOURCE 1 - Mr Allsop's History: History Through Art - The Bayeux Tapestry (video)
SUCCESS CRITERIA: I SUCCESSFULLY RESPONDED TO INQUIRY QUESTIONS IN A TABLE TO ANALYSE THE BAYEUX TAPESTRY. THIS SHOWS: