- The South Quad covers the distance of about seven football fields and connects an expanse of residence halls, classroom and office buildings and the South Dining Hall.
- Building personal connections in the dorms is an important part of the Notre Dame experience.
- Residence halls are single sex and are not separated by academic year. Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors all live in the same buildings.
- Each year, older residence halls are renovated to make them more modern and comfortable.
South Dining Hall
- South Dining Hall is one of two student dining facilities on campus. (North Dining Hall is the other.)
- South Dining Hall opened in 1927.
- As one of the finest examples of Gothic design in the United States, its architecture is reminiscent of a medieval Guild Hall.
- Today’s students find it reminiscent of Harry Potter’s Hogwarts.
- Has a few places for dining, including the food market with made-to-order selections, hospitality rooms for special events, and the Reckers 24-hour café featuring pizza and smoothies.
- Home to Academic Services for Student-Athletes.
- Also serves as the home for the First Year of Studies Program and Campus Ministry.
- Opened in 2001.
- There is also a spacious student lounge with fireplaces and big-screen TVs.
- In the center of the building is a 1,300-pound granite ball supported on a plume of water that varies between 8 and 14 pounds per square inch of pressure.
Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes
- One-seventh the size of the famed French shrine of the Virgin Mary.
- Built in 1896.
- Boulders from surrounding farms, most weighing two tons or more, were used in its construction.
- A small piece of stone from the original grotto in France is located on the right-hand side of the shrine directly below the statue of Mary.
- To Notre Dame students and alumni, the Grotto is a special place to spend a few quiet moments.
- During football weekends and finals, you might have difficulty finding a candle to light.
Basilica of the Sacred Heart
- Gothic-inspired, cross-shaped place of worship and welcome.
- Many members of the campus community gather here for daily and weekly Masses.
- The stained-glass windows were first installed in 1873, giving Notre Dame the largest collection of 19th-century French stained glass in the world.
- Beautiful artwork fills this space.
- The Main Building, with its famous Golden Dome, is a centerpiece of Notre Dame’s past and present.
- Serves primarily as a headquarters for administration.
- It was built in 1879, the same year in which the previous building was destroyed by fire.
- The Golden Dome was added to this building in 1882.
- The Golden Dome is made out of real gold.
- Atop the Dome, you will find a 19-foot-tall, 4,000-pound statue of Mary, the Mother of God, “Notre Dame” (“Our Lady”).
- With this beautiful adornment, the Main Building is 187 feet tall, making it the second tallest structure on campus after the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
- Inside the dome is a hand-painted mural of angels.
LaFortune Student Center
- Opened in 1883, this was Notre Dame’s Science Hall, but it became the LaFortune Student Center in 1953.
- One of the most trafficked buildings on campus with over 2 million visitors annually.
- The center has a variety of social, meeting and dining spaces for the campus community and guests.
- You’ll find a food court, convenience store, ATMs, a barber shop and hair stylist, a credit union branch, computer work stations, and offices for student government and other groups.
- Restaurants inside include Subway, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Smashburger, Huddle Convenience Mart.
- The Ballroom hosts more than 150 events per year, including residence hall dances, talent shows, concerts, banquets and lectures.
- LaFortune is open 24 hours while classes are in session.
- Recently renovated with new technology and improved study spaces.
- "The Word of Life" mural, also known as "Touchdown Jesus," can be seen over the north end zone.
- It is 132 feet high and 65 feet wide, containing 81 types of stone from 16 countries.
- The building is also traditionally an important gathering place for students on campus.
Guglielmino Athletics Complex
- Opened in 2005.
- 96,000-square-foot complex has affectionately been nicknamed the Gug (“goog”).
- It is attached to the Loftus Sports Center, a home for lacrosse, track and field, baseball and softball.
- Offers an advanced sports medicine section plus strength and conditioning and weight room equipment areas for all 800 Notre Dame student-athletes.
- Also holds a 130 seat auditorium, players' lounge to hang out and relax, and a recovery room designed specifically for rest.
- Arlotta Stadium features a turf playing surface that hosts over 5,000 fans.
- Construction on the stadium began in August of 2008 and was completed in the fall of 2009.
- Arlotta Stadium opened its doors on Oct. 16, 2009, as the Fighting Irish men’s team played host to the Iroquois National Team in an exhibition contest. The stadium’s official dedication took place the following day.
- The Irish men also have played nine NCAA tournament contests at Arlotta Stadium, going a combined 8-1 in those matchups.
- All Notre Dame home games are broadcasted on ESPNU, ACC Network or ACC Network Extra. Family will always be able to watch you play either on TV or over a stream.
Duncan Student Center
- Built as a part of the Campus Crossroads project in 2017 and made the stadium a hub on campus that is utilized every single day by the student body.
- Provides additional spaces for students to congregate, study, and interact with one another.
- Features a student recreation center that includes a climbing wall, basketball courts, and an extensive fitness area.
- Duncan also houses the Career Services offices.
- Includes food options at Hagerty Family Cafe, Modern Market, and Star Ginger.
Eddy Street Commons
No Notre Dame tour is complete without stopping for ice cream or a cold drink at Eddy Street Commons. Adjacent to campus, this retail and housing development allows our students the comfort of urban conveniences within a few minute walk of their dorms.