CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT CHALLENGES IN MALAYSIA'S PERSPECTIVE
Sustainable forest is very important for Malaysia as it is known as environmental treasure due to the dense of tropical forest and rich of various type of flora and fauna. It also contribute in economic in aspects of tourism. There are some challenges to sustain the forest.
- Deforestation : It takes place in variety types of reason such as for timber plantation, road and housing developement which can threatening flora and fauna. For instance in Hulu Terengganu for hydroelectric project.
- Illegal logging : It will brings the negative impacts in economic and ecological system. It generally focussed on high value species which can cause selective clearing and depleting species. This commonly happened in Kalimantan's forest.
- Temperature change : There is a certain period where the temperature rise drastically which can cause the death of flora and fauna.
CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT CHALLENGES IN INTERNATIONAL'S PERSPECTIVE
Conservation and management for sustainable forest is important in order to balancing the country. It is not just in short term but also long term for the next generation. There are also challenges that have to be overcome.
- Forest fire : This happens due to some reason such as the dried temperature and also for agriculture. It can give many negatives impact such as destroying flora and fauna species and habitat, timber, decrease evapotranspiration and air pollution. This commonly happened in Indonesia.
- Pollution : Air pollution that cause acid rain will decrease the soil quality and also can destroy the flora and fauna. It can also affects the aquatic organisms. For instance, happened in Northeast.
- Forest fragmentation : This occur due to some reasons like urbanisations. It will permanently destroy the forest area for the development. Flora and fauna will lost their habitat. There might also destroy the new species that live in that area.