My project will be over the African country of Tunisia. I will be going over its relation to the five themes of geography. We will see Tunisia's location, what's it like to live there, the way their people affect the environment,and much more.
Location - A particular place or position.
Tunisia is located on the northernmost point of Africa
The capitol of Tunisia is called Tunis.
Only two countries border Tunisia. Algeria to the west and Libya to the southeast.
The Mediterranean Sea borders all of the northern part of Tunisia and most of its east border. The Medjerda River flows through Tunisia.
Place - The physical and human aspects of a location
Tunisia's key natural resources include phosphates, petroleum, zinc, lead and iron ore.
Tunisia's cultural groups are Arab-Berbers, Europeans, and other smaller groups.
99% of the population are Sunni Muslim. The remaining 1% of the population include Shia Muslims, Baha'is, Jews, and Christians
Many people celebrate on May 20th as their independence from France. July 25th is the anniversary of the establishment of their republic. June 1st is the anniversary of the adoption of their constitution. Their most recent celebration is their Revolution during the Arab Spring.
Tunisia is in the process of economic reform and liberalization after decades of heavy state direction and participation in the economy. Tunisia's government is similar to ours. Their current government was founded on July 25, 1956. They have a semi presidential system. It means that their government is similar to ours, but they have a prime minister and a cabinet to go with a president.
Human-Environmental Interaction (HEI) - How people adapt to, depend on, and modify their environment.
In the south they mostly grow Olive trees and cereal. In the north they grow citrus fruits.
Many of Tunisian jobs are in the areas of agriculture, mining, and petroleum products.
Tunisia has some endangered species. One species is called the Addax. They're endangered because of unregulated hunting.The Mediterranean Monk Seal is also endangered due to hunting. The Scimitar-horned Oryx is almost extinct due to climate change and hunting.
Tunisia has been having environmental problems like water pollution, deforestation, and desertification. Their recent revolution has only made things worse. Garbage has been piling up around the country and forestfires have sprung up rapidly. Conferences are being held by the government to solve these problems
Region - An area on the planet that is composed of places with a unifying characteristic.
The academic year runs from September to June and examinations are held in late June or early July. Many kids star in pre-school. They later go to Kouttabs at ages 3-5 to learn how to read the Quran. They then go through 9 years of basic school, which consists of 6 years in primary and 3 years in preparatory. They then go to 4 years of secondary school to prepare for university or the work force.
Tunisia has a population of 11.1 million people. The population density is 70.78
Tunisia has an area of 63,170 mi²
The GDP Per Capita of Tunisia is 4328.54 USD
The life expectancy is 73 years for males, and 78 years for women
The literacy rate is 81.8% of the total population
The northern part has Mediterranean climate, middle part is Steppe, and southern is desert.
Movement - The translocation of human beings, their goods, and their ideas from one end of the planet to another.
Tunisia's exported goods include clothing, semi-finished goods and textiles, agricultural products, mechanical goods, phosphates and chemicals, hydrocarbons, and electrical equipment. Imports are textiles, machinery and equipment, hydrocarbons, chemicals, and foodstuffs.