A season ago, the Tribe reached the brink of a Colonial Athletic Association crown before falling in the conference final to UNCW, 4-2. The Green and Gold will once again be in the mix for the league’s top honor thanks to a combination of returning veterans and an influx of youth.
The senior trio of Christian Cargill, Lars de Boer and Alec Miller lead W&M as the group has been fixtures in the lineup throughout their careers. They have combined for 149 career singles wins, including 105 in dual-match play, and 139 doubles victories. Cargill, de Boer and Miller all played a major role in the program’s 2015 CAA crown, and if the Tribe makes another run to a league title, they will once again have a significant hand in it.
Along with its five returning players, the Tribe welcomes a four-member freshman class that was ranked among the top-25 mid-major classes in the country. The group includes a pair of top-60 ranked players by the Tennis Recruiting Network (Finbar Talcott and Michael Chen), a Costa Rican Davis Cup player (Sebastian Quiros) and an English National Champion (Louis Newman).
W&M faces a loaded schedule in 2018. The Tribe's opponents averaged over 15 wins last season and won 61.5 percent of their matches. The Green and Gold's ledger features matches against six conference champions, seven teams that participated in the 2017 NCAA Tournament and 14 regionally-ranked foes, including two in the national top 30, from a season ago.
Junior | Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
• An ITA Scholar-Athlete selection in 2017
• Won the Monarch Invitational Doubles Draw with Michael Chen during the fall
• A fixture in the Tribe’s doubles lineup last season, posting 11 wins including three at No. 1
• Tallied six singles wins in 2017, including a pair in dual-match play
Senior | Cleveland, Ohio
• A five-time All-CAA selection between singles and doubles, including three first-team nods
• Led Tribe with 9-5 singles mark during the fall and owns 54 career singles wins
• Ranks 10th in program history in career doubles wins (74) and seventh in career doubles winning percentage (.661)
• Owns 33 dual-match singles wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions
Freshman | Zheijang, China
• Posted five singles wins and five doubles victories during the fall
• Won the Monarch Invitational Doubles Draw with Tristan Bautil during the fall
• Ranked as high as No. 876 in the ITF Combined Junior Rankings
• Rated a four-star recruit and No. 59 in the U.S. by the Tennis Recruiting Network in 2017
Lars de Boer
Senior | Roosendaal, Netherlands
• A fixture in the Tribe’s lineup the last three seasons
• A two-time ITA Scholar-Athlete honoree and a three-time W&M Provost Award winner
• Owns 45 singles wins in his career, including a 33-22 dual-match ledger
• Advanced to the round of 32 at the ITA Atlantic Region Singles Championship
Senior | Rock Hill, S.C.
• Owns 50 career singles wins, including a remarkable 39-27 dual-match ledger
• Earned Second Team All-CAA honors in 2016 after winning 19 singles matches
• Tied for the team lead with an 8-3 doubles mark during the fall, including a 5-2 record with Lars de Boer
• Won 12 dual singles matches, including victories in the CAA Semifinals vs. Elon and Championship against UNCW, in 2017
Freshman | Middlesex, London, England
• Posted a 7-4 in singles mark during the fall
• Tied for the team lead with eight doubles wins, including a 5-2 mark with Christian Cargill
• Advanced to the round of 16 in the ITA Atlantic Region Doubles Championship with Cargill
• A seven-time National School Champion in England
Junior | Alexandria, Va.
• Recorded an 8-3 singles ledger in 2016-17, including a 3-1 mark in dual-match play
• Picked up wins at No. 6 singles against Boston College, Elon and Howard
• Selected the Patriot District Player of the Year in both 2013 and 2014 at West Potomac High School