weekly school News
1. Character Card: This summer, we had a large group of staff members meet on several occasions to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This evening, you will have the opportunity to review and sign the new "Character Card." This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
2. Spell Bowl: Does your child enjoy spelling challenging words? Do they enjoy competing? If so, they may want to become a member of the 2018 MIS Spell Bowl Team! Spell Bowl is a competition where students are challenged to spell words in a written format. MIS is looking for students to form a 4th grade team and a combined 5th/6th grade team. Try-outs will be held on August 22nd after school. Please contact Mrs. Tilley (email@example.com) for more information!
3. School Pictures: Picture Day will be held on August 16th. Each student will have his/her picture taken on this day to be included in the yearbook whether you plan to purchase a picture package or not. You should have received a packet regarding this last week. If you would prefer to order online, click below and us the ID code: HM788039Y0
4. K-Kids: If your child is interested in participating in MIS K-Kids, an interest form went home this week. K-Kids will meet the last Thursday of each month at 7:00 in the morning. A schedule will be sent home at the first meeting on Thursday, August 30th, at 7:00 am. Please have your child bring the signed form to the meeting. Any questions you have, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Junior Blue Fusion Dance Team: This is an intermediate dance team for girls in grades 4-6. Members of Junior Blue Fusion Dance Team perform at football and basketball games throughout Hancock County. Tryouts for the team are Wednesday, August 15 at the Memorial Building. If interested, please have your child see the display in front of the office or see Mrs. Tilley for more information.
6. School Dismissal Manager: You should have received an invitation email earlier this week to set up your account. Below are instructions for setting up your account. However, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call the office.
7. Parent Drop-Off: To ensure your child makes it to the classroom on time, and safely, please remember the following rules in car line:
- Pick up and drop off is to take place in between the orange cones only.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicles through the passenger side of the vehicle for their own safety. We would ask that cars don't pull around the vehicle in front as this creates a dangerous situation.
- Your student should be prepared to exit the vehicle after the first orange cone. They are required to exit the vehicle between the orange cones regardless of whether they are closer to the front or back cone.
- Parents that are first in line must pull up to the first cone. This allows us to fit 3 or 4 cars per rotation so that the line moves more quickly.
- Please plan ahead so that your child arrives to his/her classroom by 7:50.
8. Daily Lunch Schedule: *Please be aware that our lunch times vary each day this year. If you plan to visit your student, you will want be be familiar with these times. If you are bringing in lunch, we ask that you limit this to just your student. Don’t forget to bring your state issued ID if you wish to enter the cafe. If you are buying a school lunch for yourself or another guest, please bring cash as you cannot use the money in the student account.
9. Blue Day (Related Arts Schedule)
10. Volunteer Forms: Click on the link. Once you are on the page, click on the red apply button in the upper right hand corner to complete the process.
If you plan to attend a field trip at any time during the year or volunteer in your child's classroom, we would encourage you to complete this as soon as possible. If you have not completed and passed this background check, you will not be able to participate in these events. It is at no cost to you so if you even remotely believe you might like to help out, please do this now. There is nothing worse than telling you in May that you cannot go on a trip with your child because this process has not been completed. Again, please take care of this now.
11. 6th Grade Immunizations: If your child has not had his/her 6th grade immunizations (T-dap & meningitis), please take care of this as soon as possible. Mrs. Sturges will be corresponding with you in the near future if your child is not up-to-date. Proof of immunizations is required by September 27th. If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Sturges in the clinic.
Keeping Up With the Latest Information at MIS
Click the button below for more details
- MIS PTO Email Contact: MaxwellPTO.email@example.com
- MIS Twitter Feeds (#proud2bMIS, #MISgotchas)
August 16th: Picture Day
August 13th: Kakuda Visitors
August 20th: PTO Fundraiser Kick-Off
August 22nd: Spell Bowl Try-Outs
August 30th: K-Kids Meeting (7:00am - Library)
August 31st: PTO Fundraiser Fun Run
September 10th-14th: Fall Book Fair
September 26, 2018: (k-6 tech training; 7-12 safety)
October 30th/November 8th – P/T Conferences (4-7pm)
November 1, 2018 (7-12 curriculum; k-6 safety)
OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY