About RBC Performance
The Royal Bank of Canada, commonly shortened to RBC, is one of Canada's Big Five banks. The Performance Group is responsible for all company-wide recognition and awards programs that run through the bank.
The RBC recognition program lived in a standalone legacy portal that required employees to sign-in with a separate ID and password to send recognition.
In recent years there has been a strong push at RBC to ensure that all tools and key business processes are available inside of the digital workplace. By leveraging the investment in the intranet, RBC can reduce costs, increase platform adoption and manage risk.
TemboSocial and RBC worked together to deploy a highly visible, unified recognition program inside of the intranet (Jive) to create a single sign-on experience for employees where they could leverage social features such as:
- Posting to Activity Streams
- Notifications and @mentions inside the digital workplace
- Social trophy case of an employees lifetime achievements displayed on users' profiles
- Curating recognition content based on the profile of the logged in user. This means for example, that employees in commercial banking can discover relevant desired behaviours from recognition earned by their colleagues across the globe.
With TemboSocial's native integration inside the digital workplace, RBC was able to retire two other recognition programs, reducing program costs, administration, and making it easier for managers to be aware of accolades and feedback of their employees.
The response to InstantThanks from RBC employees was overwhelmingly positive and the results were notable:
- Recognition activity increased 12%
- Comments on recognition stories increased by 23.5%
- Likes increased by 18.6%
- Recognition is now discoverable via the Global Search meaning that employees are exposed to stories of success and achievement as part of the work day.
- Via the News Feed and Banner, recognition is displayed to employees 100's of 1,000,s of times a month.
From a budgetary perspective, deprecating the other recognition programs resulted in an annual savings of $45,000.
The InstantThanks popularity also contributed to higher overall adoption of their Intranet environment, making it a richer space with more engaging user generated content. RBC values are reinforced and syndicated stories of success and achievement inform employees about desired behaviours that drive business success.
"TemboSocial is a valuable partner to RBC, providing us with effective tools that make employee recognition fun, easy and most importantly, impactful. I really feel they have our best interests at heart and are always willing to work with us to find solutions that meet our needs." - Candice Makhan, Assistant Manager, RBC Performance & Recognition Programs