Improving the Adobe video and audio tools
Keep track of our work on performance and stability for Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, and Character Animator. This page aggregates our posts and livestream recordings. The first post in this series explains the changes we have made to ensure ongoing improvements. At the bottom of the page, find links to user resources for ensuring optimal performance.
Monthly Performance Updates
March 10, 2021 New Releases and Performance Improvements
The official rollover to the 2021 versions of Premiere Pro, After Effects, and other Adobe video applications introduces all-new Captions workflow in Premiere Pro, Media Replacement in Motion Graphics templates for After Effects and Premiere Pro, and more - including the following performance improvements:
February 9, 2021 Performance improvements
- Audio filter performance improvements on Premiere Pro: Thanks to optimizations, faster audio effect rendering on Intel CPUs delivers speed gains ranging from 20% to over 80%, depending on the effect (macOS and Windows).
- Faster exports for H264 and HEVC on macOS: Optimizing how Premiere Pro uses the CPU and GPU provides up to 20% faster exports on macOS systems.
- Comprehensive optimizations for Rush on iOS deliver better battery life, less heating, and faster exports: up to 7x faster on iPhone 12 Pro. The improvements apply across the board with some variation in export gains, depending on the footage and iOS model.
- Faster exports with Intel TigerLake CPUs thanks to new optimizations for Quick Sync, providing 15-20% faster encoding (released January 12 in Premiere Pro).
December 21, 2020 Now in Beta: Premiere Pro for Apple M1 Systems
Premiere Pro, Premiere Rush, and Audition builds with native support for new Apple M1 chipsets are now available in public Beta.
November 17, 2020 Quick Export in Premiere Pro and Media Replacement
- Up to 4x faster rendering and smoother playback for 4K sequences using AMD Ryzen™ Mobile and Desktop Processors with Radeon™ Graphics.
- Premiere Rush exports on iOS are now 2x faster (up to 3x faster, depending on project)
October 28, 2020 Livestream Accelerating Premiere Pro
Jason Levine welcomes Matt Bach of Puget Systems and Caroline Sears from the Adobe Care team to look at the latest performance improvements, hardware testing, troubleshooting, and optimizing your system. Watch the recording.
October 20, 2020 New hardware decoding for H.264/H.265 formats
- More responsive playback in Premiere Pro with hardware decoding on AMD and NVIDIA GPUs on Windows
- Faster audio pre-roll in Premiere Pro
September 15, 2020 Performance Improvements in the September 2020 Release
- Improved Multicam performance for Apple ProRes (Premiere Pro)
- Faster OpenEXR Previews in After Effects
- Faster Channel Effects in After Effects
- Faster Effects scanning for VST3 and AU plugins (Audition and Premiere Pro)
August 18, 2020 Livestream Performance and Stability: Community Q&A
What is Adobe doing about performance and stability? Matt Christensen and Marjorie Sacks on the Premiere Pro engineering team join Jason Levine’s livestream to talk about changes we’ve been making, answer your questions, and share resources. Watch thd recording.
July 21, 2020 Playback improvements for H.264 and HEVC on Windows
- Up to 2x better playback for H.264 and HEVC on Windows
- Export Apple ProRes 4444 XQ on macOS (previously only available on Windows)
June 16, 2020 How Beta is helping us build better products
- Validating faster with public Beta
- Faster launch times for Premiere Pro on macOS
- Improved file management workflows in Adobe Audition
- Apple Afterburner support
May 19, 2020 Performance and Stability: our highest commitment
- Changes to our engineering and release cycle to improve stability
- Using the System Compatibility Report in Premiere Pro to avoid issues
- Improving playback for H264, HEVC, and Apple ProRes formats
- Faster exports with hardware encoding with AMD and NVIDIA GPUs on Windows
- Auto Reframe 2x faster
Resources for Users