DLI Program Overview
The Redmond School District’s Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program is a core educational program that offers academic content in two languages: English and Spanish. DLI models are supported by over 20 years of research and are highly regarded as one of the most effective educational programs. The DLI program will start at Redmond Early Learning Center (RELC) during the 2017-18 school year with two kindergarten classes and will continue at Sage Elementary to eventually become a K-5 model.
BENEFITS OF DLI
- Students become bilingual, biliterate and develop cultural competency to succeed in a global society.
- Students are taught the same academic content and standards as all other educational programs.
- DLI students tend to outperform their non-immersion peers on academic achievement tests in English.
- Historically underserved students, especially English learners, attain greater academic success when they participate in a DLI program.
- People who are bilingual demonstrate greater cognitive flexibility, increased attention control, better memory, and superior problem solving skills as well as enhanced understanding of their primary language.
- Many local and global employers need a multilingual workforce to remain competitive.
Who Can Apply
The DLI program is open to all incoming 2017-18 kindergarten students. Space is limited. If more applications are received than spaces are available students will be selected by lottery.
How To Apply
Applications can be filled out online HERE or you can fill out an application in person, available at the Redmond Early Learning Center (RELC).
Applications are due June 1, 2017
Questions & Answers for Parents
- http://www.cal.org/twi/toolkit/PI/P_QA/parent_a8.htm (English)
- http://www.cal.org/twi/toolkit/PI/P_PR/padre_ps.htm (Espanol)
If you have any additional questions please contact:
- English - Brittaney Cocciolo, 541-923-8259 email@example.com
- Spanish - Maria Mendoza, 541-977-6942 firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in Redmond School Districts NEW Dual Language Immersion program!