NOW: We welcome you to our free ZOOM classes at 10 AM Saturday mornings. Each class is designed to support and improve your relaxation and breathing through meditation, QiGong, and Tai Chi practice. You will also join our local Tai Chi community as we explore and experience the healing benefits of Tai Chi and QiGong. Email email@example.com to get your invitation to the ZOOM classes.
FUTURE: ON-SITE REGULAR CLASSES (See below) WILL RESUME WHEN SOCIALLY AND LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE TO DO SO. SUMMER CLASSES WILL BE OUTDOORS. NOTIFY US IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.
- FREE Introduction to Beginning 1 Tai Chi class series - gentle movements of Tai Chi, strength and power of QiGong, peaceful nature of meditation
- Fundamentals 3
- Classes 10-weeks, Tuition: New - $175, Repeat $100 (unless noted)
- NEW Roots and Branches QiGong (5-week course) - Tuition: $85
- Beginning 2 Tai Chi class series
* see class descriptions below
T'ai Chi Benefits
T’ai Chi Chuan is an ancient Chinese exercise that promotes health and well-being. As you move through a series of postures at a slow and even pace, your body relaxes and your mind and emotions become calm. Tai Chi is gentle enough for anyone to enjoy, no matter the age. Practicing Tai Chi increases circulation, improves balance and posture, reduces stress, and increases vitality. It combines meditation, movement and breath awareness. Tai Chi is both a cardiovascular and weight-bearing exercise.
The Lineage of Our School
Our international school, The Tai Chi Foundation: In 1970, Patrick Watson, senior student of Grand Master Cheng Man-Ching, who brought Tai Chi to the West, established the School of Tai Chi Chuan. It now has trained over 200 teachers in 30 teaching locations in 7 countries. Our Roots & Branches QiGong and the Eight Ways deepen the experience of the self and the spirit. You will go home from the first class with enough embodiment to practice on your own. Distinctive features of our school are Team Teaching, which facilitates rapid understanding and easy learning; and an apprentice teacher training program. Patrik Donahue and AJ Allen brought our branch to Portland Oregon in 1988, where classes have been taught regularly since then.
Our classes are 100% inclusive, welcoming all genders, races, religions, and sexual orientations.
What Science Says About the Benefits of Tai Chi and Qi Gong
Research findings from Harvard Medical School and other universities suggest that practicing tai chi may improve balance and stability in the following areas:
- Preventing falls and improving balance
- For joint pain (knee osteoarthritis, chronic neck pain, back pain)
- For mental health and cognitive function
- For quality of life
We offer beginning classes to get you started, and then a series of classes that further the teaching of Professor Cheng Man Ching’s 37-position form.
- Beginning Tai Chi – Relaxing with Chi is designed to revitalize and energize you. We will focus on Tai Chi principles through easy to follow movements, meditation and breath awareness. The form is taught in 30 one-hour classes, divided into B-1, B-2 and B-3. We teach the entire sequence of movements, where the hands go, where the feet go, and the principles (softness, straightness, relaxation) that makes doing the movements worthwhile. Each class hour provides teacher demonstrations, lots of practice repetitions, hands-on adjustments by teachers, verbal guidance, and social interaction.
- Fundamentals is the next step in deepening our learning in beginning classes. Now that you have learned the basic mechanics of the Tai Chi form, we change our focus to the principles that make Tai Chi unique.
- Partner Work - Sensing Hands - Working with a partner to help each other become more aware of our tensions to help each other let them go. Lighthearted and playful, laughter and camaraderie are present in all levels of partner work.
- Intermediate Form Work is the next level.
- QiGong - Improves circulation & balance of life force energy. Simple, discrete movements. Regenerative support for individuals with minor or serious illnesses, injuries, energy blocks, emotional/spiritual imbalances. Easy to learn & practice; discernible benefits with modest time investment.
- Opportunities - Occasional local weekend intensives with guest teachers enrich our Tai Chi experience. Sword and Staff forms are also available. The Tai Chi Foundation offers week-long Tai Chi Summer Vacations in the US and Europe. These are gatherings of our international school which attract people from around the world. Give us a call here in Portland (503-222-2289) for more information or click on the button below:
"Tai Chi continues to be a go-to source for physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual support in my life. And transmitting those gifts to our students makes me very happy."
"Tai Chi is my dependable best friend for maintaining health and balance. After 50 years of teaching and practicing, I understand and appreciate the unity of body/mind/spirit."
"I was overweight, out of shape and lacked motivation when a friend recommended Tai Chi. After practicing it for 5 ½ years, Tai Chi anchors my daily routine and I am healthier and more active."
"Tai Chi is a wonderful gift. Practicing and teaching it helps me gain internal strength, emotional focus, and self-awareness. Tai Chi can be practiced in any space and time. Working with students generates beautiful group energy."
"I love the powerful, yet gentle way Tai Chi leads me to deal with stress through relaxation and meditative-like movements. As a naturopathic doctor, I receive tremendous physical, emotional and mental health benefits, including improved balance, mood, and energy flow."
"As Tai Chi flows, it relaxes and improves my body awareness. Observing the student learning process is rewarding to me and helps to improve my own Tai Chi."
Created with images by Ivan Jevtic - "untitled image" • rauschenberger - "sport tai chi china"