"While media and technology formats continue to change, the comprehensive nature of information literacy prepares individuals to adapt to shifting information environments. In many ways, this is a process of learning how to learn. Information-literate individuals acquire the ability to understand information using different forms of technology. They apply information knowledge gained from a wide range of verbal, print, media, and online sources and continuously refine skills over time. This constitutes a practice of critical engagement with one’s world as active and participatory learners."
- Mackey & Jacobson, Reframing Information Literacy as Metaliteracy, College & Research Libraries, January 2011.
"Students who are competent communicators and who understand the presence and influence of media in their lives and the lives of others will flourish in our world. [...] The core curriculum will 'teach students to communicate effectively through various means...'"
- Baylor University, Core Curriculum statement on Communication and Media Literacy
Evolution of "Print"
Your BEAR ID
A Bear ID is an electronic identifier created uniquely for every student and employee of Baylor. It is used to access electronic resources like Airbear, PawPrints, Office365, Canvas, Adobe, and others. It is also considered a person's network ID.
- Bear IDs are generally in the format Firstname_Lastname and incremental numbers
- The Bear ID concatenated with @baylor.edu becomes an individual's Baylor email address
- To change your password or security questions, only use: www.baylor.edu/bearid
- Not all Baylor systems are case sensitive for your Bear ID, but your passwords are always case sensitive
- Don't share your password... ever!
- 60+ Baylor systems utilize Duo 2-factor authentication
- Get the app and receive a push notification
- Worried about data charges for Duo? Use the Passcode feature, or be on wifi
Baylor's wireless network is free to all students, faculty, and staff. Coverage continues to expand at Baylor, including campus residences and McLane Stadium. Click the link below for details and setup instructions for all your devices.
- Look for AIRBEAR WPA2
- Log in with your Bear ID and password
- Accept the certificate on first login
- BU-GUEST is for guests of faculty/staff
- Content filters to keep you (and Baylor) safe
- Don't assume anonymity ever, but especially on the Baylor network
Access your @baylor.edu email anywhere, using any Exchange mail client (like Outlook or Mail.app), Outlook Web Access (OWA) at mail.baylor.edu, and all your devices. Even keep your email after you graduate with a free @alumni.baylor.edu account for life.
- Primary means of Baylor communication
- Report phishing attempts to the Help Desk
Bonus: free access to all Office365 apps.
Unlimited cloud storage from Box. Box is a cloud-based system that allows you to securely store documents online so you can access, manage and share them from anywhere. You can access, share and collaborate on files using your computer or mobile device. Box is compatible with browsers, iPhones, iPads, and Android devices.
- Unlimited cloud storage while enrolled
- Web, desktop, and mobile app compatible
- Open, edit, and save Office365 files in-app
- Versioning - track revisions to a file or revert to an older version
- Collaborate, share, comment and receive notifications
- Activate your account today at baylor.box.com
Canvas offers class content and collaboration online. All courses have online components, from your syllabus, to assignment calendars, collaborative projects, quizzes, and grades.
Canvas gives students and faculty access to their courses, content, and organizations on a variety of mobile devices including Android and iOS.
Subsidized printing with PawPrints gives students access to network printing across campus and attempts to balance rich features and access with financial and environmental responsibility.
- Install only four campus queues and access 120+ campus printers
- Free printing credit each semester (good for 800 2-sided B&W prints)
- Upload & Email documents to print
- Release your jobs and check usage from your mobile device
- Track the environmental impact of your printing
- Log in at print.baylor.edu
Tech help where you live. ResTech supports technology for Campus Living & Learning. Learn which internet devices are supported and how to register them. Staff can visit your room to help connect all your devices.
- Wireless and wired internet
- Many gaming and smart consoles OK using wired connection or wireless (Coming Fall 2019!)
- No cable TV option in rooms
Growing range of opportunities to create and publish content online. Turn your school projects into a portfolio to share your stories and bolster career opportunities.
Plan to buy a computer, tablet, or software? Baylor students have access to substantial savings on technology through Apple, Dell, GovConnection, and software vendors. Purchase computers, laptops, consumer electronics, peripherals, parts, and software at a discount.
Baylor partners with Microsoft, Adobe, and others to provide free software (or nearly):
- Windows 10, Office365 Pro Plus, JMP, SAS, IBM SPSS, Mathematica and MATLAB free
- Deep discount on Adobe Creative Cloud
- Autodesk tools free for education
- Discounts on Parallels, VMWare products, Solidworks, and more
Open workstations and custom labs in each department with wide range of academic software and discipline-specific equipment
Created with images by blickpixel - "board electronics computer" • Tim Bogdanov - "untitled image" • Jo Jo - "untitled image" • Raychan - "untitled image" • Pujadm - "printing textiles dyes" • Mari77 - "old print press press printing press" • weinstock - "print color yellow" • Bank Phrom - "untitled image" • Dung Anh - "untitled image" • Denise Jans - "untitled image" • blickpixel - "board electronics computer" • Markus Spiske - "untitled image" • dwlewis0 - "ebook kindle story" • creil91 - "industry technology machine" • 6689062 - "business computer mobile" • geralt - "login monitor smartphone" • TREGG MATHIS - "untitled image" • MikesPhotos - "elvis presley music retro" • Tim van der Kuip - "untitled image" • Ousa Chea - "untitled image" • JaimePLopes - "quiz business conference"