Birth name: Jorge Mario Bergoglio
Other known names: Francis, Pope Francis, & Francis I
In September of 2015, Pope Francis became the first Pope to address the United States Congress.
Why was Pope Francis so important i Latin American history?
- He was the first Pope from the Western Hemisphere
- He was also the first Pope from South America
- 1962 - He became a priest
- 1973 - He took his final vows
- 1973-1979 - He was the Head of the Jesuit province of Argentina
- 1992 - Named auxiliary bishop of Buenos Aites
- 1998 - He was elected to papacy and consecrated a cardinal in 2001
In Argentina, during the rapid devaluation of the country's currency, Pope Francis chose: public transportation or traveled by foot, a simple downtown apartment
Religious & Ethical Systems: Morals, Guidelines, Beliefs, & Values
- In his first speech of his papacy, Laudato si' ("Praise be to you") Pope Francis proclaimed that environmental degradation was a "moral issue" from greed and poor capitalism that caused human beings to lose sight of relationships that bring them together and caused them to neglect Earth
Cultural Interaction: Religion
- Pope Francis became an outspoken advocate for the poor and able politician, promoting the church's position on social matters