Sam Brannan, one of California’s earliest entrepreneurs, purchased the entire upper Napa Valley in the 1860s, with a vision of creating a world-class resort. He built the original spa, mud baths, pool and racetrack in 1861. In 1880, Leland Stanford bought the resort with the intention of locating Stanford University here. Instead, he established Stanford in Palo Alto and the spa tradition continued as Sam Brannan had envisioned. In 1905, the Pacheteau family operated the property and renamed it Pacheteau Baths. It became a popular wellness destination for generations of Bay Area families.