developing a strategy
This site is the focus for activities related to the national strategy being developed by the Scottish Library & Information Council (SLIC). The Information, Digital Literacy and Digital Creativity Working Group is being led by Andy Jackson (Learning & Teaching Librarian at the University of Dundee) and Gerald Strother (independent consultant and producer in the creative industries).
The working group will be active between April and June 2018, with a report to be presented to SLIC in June 2018, so we need to move fast.
how can YOU help?
There are a number of ways in which you can help - firstly, by getting involved. We're looking for School Librarians in Scotland to join the working group. If you have interest in or experience of any of the following please email us right away at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- The role of the School Library in learning and teaching
- Teaching digital literacies in your Schools
- Developing curriculums alongside teachers
- Using digital media to develop and enhance creativity with pupils
- Identifying how digital literacy and digital creative skills are beneficial in the world of work
Ideally we'd be looking at working closely with 3-4 School Librarians, plus we also want to involve the following;
- Head teachers or senior staff in a School - does your Head value the Library and involve you in the curriculum? If so, tell us who they are.
- ICT teachers with an interest in digital technologies - do you know a tech-savvy teacher with an understanding or awareness of student behaviours using smart devices?
- Employers, Businesspeople and Professional Digital Creatives who have a connection to a School - do you know anyone who has an interest in the skills of young people in the workplace? Again, tell us about them.
We have also set up a discussion space using a tool called Padlet where you can add your views and suggest where our priorities should be - click here to go there and please let us know where we should be concentrating our efforts in thinking about digital literacies and digital creativity.
This is our simple Padlet for adding your comments
There is also a selection of documents and resources relating to digital literacies which you may find useful.
We've used Pearltrees to collect relevant links to documents and resources on digital literacies
If you would like to shape the future of School Libraries in Scotland please get in touch now!