Drill Go-Cart Harry Geisenberger

Problem Statement - Our group was given a goal of building and designing a drill powered go cart. Our constraints are that we have a $20 budget, a two marking period timeline, and one of our group members has to be able to ride in the go-cart. We will be judged on how fast it moves, how long the can the go-cart travel, and how well the go-cart maneuvers.

Base Design
Axel Design

Research - Our research was based on image 1 with the bottom having some form of open space to reduce weight. We also will use the side bumpers to keep the driver in the cart. Our research based off image 2 is the axel design in how the front wheels will be the ones that turn and the rear wheels will propel the cart forward.

Design

Base
Brake System

Design - The design in image one is design for the base. We wanted the base to be light weight and be able to hold our driver. The base will be 4 and 1/4 feet long and the cut out 1 and 3/4 in to the base. In image 2 the brake system will be a system of levers. We will run a PVC pipe on the bottom and use connectors to be able to brake on each side evenly.

Build

For our build stage we decided to used the shop bot and V-carve to design and cut out our base of the go-cart. We laid out the top views of our 3-D models on to a blank document to lay out a configuration to minimize wood usage. To be able to cut the wood we created tool paths to guide the shop bot to know where to cut the wood and where to avoid the screws. When I was creating the tool path I decided to use 4 passes instead of 2 due to the risk of breaking the drill bit. We also used different tool paths for items that belong in the joint due the half inch disparity the drill pass would create.

Now since we have cut out the base of the go cart we found the base to be somewhat unstable. So we striped down a pallet of wood and took the wood and nailed it to the sides of the base to reinforce the sides so our driver won't break the base.

We have taken the wheels off a bike and the wheels off a wagon.

Here we have Tamia and I attaching the nut and screw to the rod that is holding the back wheel. We designed the back wheel to be a long rod with a PVC pipe running through. The PVC pipe is there for the rod to be able to rotate freely.

Here we have Ethan building the first frame. We had to build a support system because the wood we used was to flimsy and started to splinter with any weight places on it.

Here we have Ethan and Jocelyn attaching the second frame due to the first frame unable to support the weight of Tamia. In the second frame we made a box and cut the edges into 45 degree angles so they would interlock and forma strong joint. Our second frame was successful in it made the cart stable but it still could not support the weight when the wheels were attached.

Here we have the joints that will help make the brake system

Here is a picture of me priming and cementing the PVC pipe to make the PVC stay together.

This is our brake system

This is us attaching the brake to the cart. We used zip ties to tie it around the frame and around the beam running down the center. When we finally attached the brake system to the cart we then put a yoga mat on the ends to create friction and therefor stop the cart.

This is go cart after it hit the wall and broke. Test one and two failed.

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.