The First Agricultural Revolution:
- Occurred around 11,000 B.C. (The First Agricultural, 2016)
- It was the transition of humans from hunting and gathering to sedentary planting and raising animals.
- It was at a time of climate change. The earth was getting warmer.
Wheat was the first crop to be grown. Followed by other grains like Barley.
The Second Agricultural Revolution
- Occurred between 1815-1900
- Many inventions were created for farming
- Feed more than just the farmer's family, but also a village
- Railroads for transporting
- Planting in rows makes it easier to harvest
- New fertilizers
(Second Agricultural Revolution, 2016)
This threshing machine made harvesting grains easier to accomplish in mass.
The Third Agricultural Revolution
- Late 20th century
- Also known as Green Revolution
- Planned to eliminate hunger by improving farming yields
- Mass production
- Produce larger yields from same land.
- Developed genetically engineered crops
- Expanded use of fertilizers
(The Three Agricultural, 2016)
Today farming is a huge business.
GMO’s are genetically engineered crops. These crops are created to be able to produce large yields and grow larger and stronger than their organic counterparts. The farmers can use less insecticide because these plants can be engineered to resist them. (The Three Agricultural, 2016)
- More tolerant crop
- Larger yields
- Insecticide can be engineered in them
- Effects on your health
- Tastes different
Commercial farming is done on a large scale and involves feeding thousands of people. It is about raising crops and livestock to sell for profit. You may grow just one type of crop like corn or beans. (What is the Difference, 2016)
Subsistence farming is a small scale and is done to feed your own family and sometimes a few people in the community. These farmers will raise a variety of crops and animals to meet your family's needs.
Sustainable farming is using techniques when farming to protect the environment, human communities, and animal welfare.
FUN FARMING FACTS
- The heaviest turkey ever raised weighed 86 lbs. That is the size of a third grader.
- Cows are herbivores so they only have teeth on the bottom.
- Like snowflakes, no two cows have exactly the same pattern of spots.
- Elevators in the Statue of Liberty use a soybean based hydraulic fluid.(Farmers Feed Us, 2016)
"AP Human Geography - The First Agricultural Revolution." AP Human Geography - The First Agricultural Revolution. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2016.
"HISTORY OF THE CULTIVATION OF PLANTS." HISTORY OF THE CULTIVATION OF PLANTS. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2016.
"Second Agriculture Revolution." Agricultural Revolution Inventions. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2016.
": The Three Agricultural Revolutions." : The Three Agricultural Revolutions. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2016.
"What Is the Difference between Commercial Farming and Subsistence Farming?" Reference. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2016.
"Farmers Feed Us." Farmers Feed US - Fun Farm Facts. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2016.