This retreat will be held June 20-24th, 2018 .
AT THE GORGEOUS AND MAGICAL COMMONWEAL RETREAT CENTER IN BOLINAS, CALIFORNIA, AT THE EDGE OF THE POINT REYES NATIONAL SEASHORE.
THIS RETREAT WILL SERVE 8-10 TEENS LIVING WITH ILLNESS AND 8-10 OF THEIR CAREGIVERS
There will be plenty of opportunities for rest, rejuvenation, and fun in a natural setting. Food will be healthy, delicious, and nourishing!
we will have sessions led by integrative and holistic health experts, nutritionists, artists, and naturalist on:
• Mind-body skills (i.e. meditation, mindfulness, guided imagery) that are known to improve physical and mental wellbeing
• Stress management, relaxation, self-care, and wellness for kids and caregivers
• Culinary medicine education and hand-on cooking workshops
• Yoga, tai chi, and mindful movement
• Massage for relaxation during the retreat and learning skills to use at home
• Creative arts, including visual (painting/drawing), writing/journaling, and music
• Gardening & nature walks
• Supportive group and peer sharing
Please note that the Communitas Health retreat is an educational program, not a medical treatment program.
This retreat is for 14-18 year olds living with a chronic physical condition (such as cancer, autoimmune condition, lung disease, diabetes, etc) and one of their parents.
• The retreat will work best for people who understand what the retreat is and believe they would benefit from participating.
• Must be medically stable enough to spend 4 nights in a rural retreat setting
• Must be under the care of a physician
• Must be able to communicate needs independently
• Must be able to be away from family members for at least 2 hours or more at a time
• Must be able to function and participate in a group setting
• Must have a minimum developmental age of 5 years
• We are able to accommodate one family with a wheelchair for this retreat due to the site’s limited wheelchair accessibility.
* Please Note: THE RETREAT SETTING IS IN A SEASIDE AND WOODED RUSTIC AREA- WITH UNEVEN AND UNPAVED PATHS, STAIRS, & SHARED BATHROOMS