Pokémon was first introduced to Japan in 1996. The original Pokémon world, called the Pokéverse, contained 151 creatures to catch, train, and trade to other Pokémon Masters. These Pokémon creatures were first called "Capsule Monsters" because they are kept inside Pokéballs.
Pokémon was first released in America, almost 20 years ago, in September 1998. There were trading cards, video games, tv shows, and movies based on the Red and Blue versions of Pokémon.
There are currently 7 generations of pokémon creatures. With each new generation, more creatures have been added to the Pokéverse.
- Red & Green, Blue, Red & Blue, Yellow +151 pokémon creatures
- Gold & Silver, Crystal +100 pokémon creatures
- Ruby & Sapphire, FireRed & LeafGreen, Emerald +135 pokémon creatures
- Diamond & Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold & SoulSilver +107 pokémon creatures
- Black & White, Black 2 & White 2 +156 pokémon creatures
- X & Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire +72 pokémon creatures
- Sun & Moon +81 pokémon creatures
That means there are 802 different types of pokémon!
What is the First Pokémon?
- Bulbasaur is the 1st creature listed in the Pokédex.
- Rhydon is the 1st creature made in the pokémon video games
- Arceus is the pokémon that created the Pokéverse and...
- Mew is the creature considered to be the ancestor of all pokémon.
Growlithe is a Puppy Pokémon, the only other Pokémon that has this species name is Lillipup.
Raichu can be a boy or a girl, you can tell the difference by looking at it's tail. Girls have a blunted lightning bolt at the end of its tail.
Nidoqueen evolves from Nidorina when exposed to a Moon Stone.
Vulpix was originally going to be called “Foxfire”
Zubat does not have eyes.
Abra has the highest Special Attack of all unevolved Pokémon.
Dugtrio is the fastest Ground-type Pokémon.
Ponyta in shiny form has blue flames.
Cloyster is the only Ice-type Pokémon in the purple colour group.
Mewtwo is a clone of the pokémon Mew.
Onix is the longest Pokémon that can hatch from an Egg.
Chansey is a girl-only species with no boys.
Starmie is a species with no gender. This means they are not boys or girls.
Dratini is the lightest Dragon-type Pokémon.
Dragonair was originally named “Dragyn”.
Dragonite are very rare in the wild.
Ivysaur is the only Generation I Pokémon whose name begins with the letter I.
Bulbasaur is the only unevolved dual type starter Pokémon.
There are 122 different Pokémon games.
In addition to the trading card version, there are games for Gameboy, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS & 3DS, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii & WiiU, Windows computers, Apple computers, tablets, and smart phones.
PokémonGO is a mobile game that allows you to find and capture Pokémon in everyday places like the park or the grocery store.