EARNING YOUR CREDENTIALS
If you already hold a bachelor's degree in an appropriate content area, licensure requirements can be completed as a non-degree seeking student (no additional degree, only licensure).
If you do not yet hold a degree, you may earn a minor in teacher education in addition to your major field of study.
You will complete teacher education coursework, along with an approved set of content hours, and a set of general education hours. Your previous coursework may fulfill some of these requirements.
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Program length is typically close to 2 years, but depends on the number of courses you need to complete at UIS.
- Through our program you may become licensed as a secondary teacher in the areas of English, mathematics, science (biology or chemistry), and social science (history, political science, or sociology/anthropology).
- On campus meetings (on the University of Illinois at Springfield campus) are required for online teacher education courses. Students and faculty meet 2 to 3 times each semester during designated weekends (Friday evenings and Saturdays) to fulfill requirements for courses.
- Active duty military personnel who are deployed may be able to obtain a waiver for the required meetings.
PRIOR TO ADMISSION: PRELIMINARY TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION
- To begin your journey at UIS, please send transcripts to Heather Nielsen for a preliminary evaluation in addition to pages 5 & 6 of the TEP application. You will need to send one official transcript to Heather for TEP advising and a separate official transcript to UIS Admissions upon applying to the university. Physical official transcripts for TEP should be sent to the below address. Electronic official transcripts for TEP should be sent to email@example.com. Once transcripts are received, the analysis may take up to 6 weeks before it is complete depending on how many are already in queue.
- Heather will email the analysis to you and ask you to schedule an advising session which may done in person or via phone.
- The evaluation of your credentials is valid for 6 months. This ensures that your analysis is completed with the most recent Illinois State Board of Education licensure rules and policies.
Heather A. Nielsen, Advisor/Licensure Officer
One University Plaza, MS-BRK 310, Springfield, IL 62703
firstname.lastname@example.org -- 217.206.6934
TEP ADMISSION PROCESS
After the preliminary transcript analysis is completed and you have had an advising session with Heather, either in person of by phone, you will follow the below process to gain full admission into the UIS Teacher Education Program. While waiting for your analysis to be completed, it is perfectly fine to go ahead and submit the UIS Admission Form, as well as to establish an ELIS account, if you do not already have one.
Online @ UIS
A University of Illinois education -- from anywhere in the world. Make no mistake: where you earn your degree matters.
Career Advancement -- through education tailored for working adults and other students who need flexibility as well as personal attention.
Professors -- the same who teacher our on-campus classes. At UIS there are no online degrees; only U of I degrees. Your classes will be equally rigorous as on-campus classes, and you will experience the same dynamic learning environment as our on-campus students.
U.S. News & World Report recognized UIS in three categories: Best Bachelor's Degree Program, Best Graduate Education Program, Best Graduate Business Program.