Adobe Slate Reviewer's Guide
This guide points out all the fine details for the sake of a thorough media review, but we expect you will easily figure out the best way to use the app. Have fun!
Adobe Slate is the simplest, most fun way to make your next report, newsletter, or travel adventure stand out – in minutes.
Adobe Slate is a free iPad app that lets you create a beautiful visual story that delights readers on any device. Slate stories help to quickly capture attention, increase awareness and inspire action.
- No design skills required! Your words and images tell the story. Just tap to select a unique theme – beautiful fonts, color and magazine-style design are automatically incorporated. Achieve a unique look with your photos and text.
- Reach people on the devices they live on. Fluid movement and elegant motion are applied as they scroll through the page. Quotes, captions and photos come alive on phones, tablets and laptops.
- Inspire action with special buttons that link to other sites online, to: donate now, volunteer or learn more! Simply share your Slate story with a link on Twitter, Facebook, text message or embed it on your website.
Whether it's a newsletter you're sending to customers, a book report to impress your teacher or a recount of your recent travels, Adobe Slate lets you turn your ideas, information and photos into an impactful visual story in just minutes.
Get Started with Slate
Open Slate, and sign in with your Adobe ID. If you don't have an Adobe ID, follow the simple steps to create one within the app.
When you first log in, you'll see the Explore screen showcasing a variety of great real-world stories inspired by lessons, personal journeys or causes. Tap on a story to see the experience as you scroll through it.
Begin a New Slate
Tap the "+Create a New Story" button at the top of the Explore screen when you're ready to get started.
Get familiar with the app's main menu:
- Check out the right side of the top menu bar: "themes," "preview" and "publish."
- Select the magic wand icon at the top right of the screen to play with a large variety of themes.
- Tap the "play" button in the upper right corner at any point to preview how your Slate story will move when you scroll through it.
- Select the upward arrow - "publish" - when you're ready to share your Slate story.
- You'll also notice a "home" button in the upper left corner, which takes you back to your projects, and the Explore screen with other example stories.
Now, it's time to start building your first Slate story!
Create Your Cover Page
Tap "Add a Title" to start your cover page and name your project – "Add a Subtitle" lets you enter secondary text. You can drag your title and subtitle to reposition them on the cover page.
Tap the photo icon at the bottom of the screen to add a cover photo from your device, your Lightoom library, Creative Cloud files, Dropbox or search from thousands of Creative Commons images on the web.
Click the lens icon at the bottom right of your cover image, which opens the focal point selector. Drag the circle from side to side or up-and-down to choose the portion of your photo that you would like to appear in both portrait and landscape view. Look for the preview in the upper right-hand corner of your iPad to see how it will look in another mobile orientation.
Rotate your iPad and see your Slate story adjust to the screen - you can't do that on a laptop!
Slate will remember this focal point regardless of where you position your photo, ensuring a consistent viewing experience on any device.
Experiment with Themes
Select the magic wand icon at the top right of the screen to play with the large variety of themes; each of these incorporates magazine-style design automatically changing the colors, fonts and motion within your Slate story. With a single tap, themes are applied to your entire story as it changes right before your eyes. We hope you experiment with a number of themes, but here are a few you should definitely check out: